TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my chip reburned by Brian Heron. Allegedly, it was programed to make use of a 180 degree t-stat.

With the 180 t-stat I put in (Murray Plus 13398), the temp guage never goes above the C. I have searched the forums and found nobody with this same problem.

Should I take the thing back, or is it OK.....with the chip programed the engine is reaching its ideal temp?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
thats strange.....even with my 180* Tstat and the fan continuously on High, it has has never gone that low.....but then again i have a '97 with a different temp gauge on the cluster

do this.....check if the Tstat isn't stuck open.....put your hand on the upper radiator hose and see if u can feel whether the hose is slowly warming up, or if it heats up suddenly when the Tstat opens

also, is your fan running at all times? or does it switch on/off as it normally would?

·
8,239 Posts
with my 95 with the 180 stat it wouldn't come off of cold. This is how the guage is calibrated. Its a dummy guage at best, if you want to know the water temp then install a autometer water guage. Same deal with my 96 the guage never comes off cold, but the autometer temp guage tells me when the thermostat is opening, and the water temp.

JH

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Mine will stay on "C" if the a/c is on. If i turn a/c off it will get to temp of normal stat bc the u/d pulleys. Fan doesnt come on til 195 or whatever even though tstat is open. Ill eventually fix this by getting an chip.
Only time it has gotten hot is when i did about 6 consecutive runs at the track then back to stage lanes ... coolant flow with the u/d pulleys wasnt enough to get rid the heat @ idle.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
ITT-BIRD said:
Mine will stay on "C" if the a/c is on. If i turn a/c off it will get to temp of normal stat bc the u/d pulleys. Fan doesnt come on til 195 or whatever even though tstat is open. Ill eventually fix this by getting an chip.
Only time it has gotten hot is when i did about 6 consecutive runs at the track then back to stage lanes ... coolant flow with the u/d pulleys wasnt enough to get rid the heat @ idle.
ITT-BIRD, i'm sure u already know, but just in case, u can always run a relay (or two) to a switch to make the fan turn on low and/or high to cool it down after runs

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
JustinH said:
Its a dummy guage at best, if you want to know the water temp then install a autometer water guage. JH

Exactly. My 94 actually overheated even though the gauge was only at the "O" of NORMAL (it overheated because the fuse for the fan was toast).

I installed this immediately after that happened.

It's nice having an accurate temp reading.

-Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts