1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Just pointing out that in the description in Caps it says "not an aftermarket unit" reffering to the stereo.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The "Not Aftermarket" refers to Moon Roof. The Head unit is aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it was broken, mine was when I bought the car. Only two speakers and the tape deck still worked. At least I replaced it with the later 90s radio rather than some random aftermarket one.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
It seems that all the nicest, low mile cars are 3.8L NAs.. Such a pity.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Maybe it's the wording confusing me, but he says the tires still have green on them from factory, then says recently serviced with 4 new tires.
Then he says this "Original factory radio was replaced with an aftermarket radio because it did not work (like most ford products of this era)" Is that the worst sales pitch ya'll have ever heard?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Maybe it's the wording confusing me, but he says the tires still have green on them from factory, then says recently serviced with 4 new tires.
You guys should read more closely.
STILL EVEN HAS THE GREEN STICKERS ON THE WHEELS FROM WHEN IT WAS NEW OVER 22 YEARS AGO!

Wheels != Tires.
The wheels have green stuff from the factory, whatever that is.
20 year old tires would have serious dry rot on them so purchasing new tires prior to sale is not unexpected.

This guy obviously isn't a Tbird enthusiast. He just acquired a low-mileage car with the intent of flipping it.
-g

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe if it was a v8.
It seems that all the nicest, low mile cars are 3.8L NAs.. Such a pity.
The 89s/90s only came with the V6 and honestly its not that bad, especially when you free up the intake and exhaust. Its got better weight distribution than the V8 cars and has the largest stock sway bars too. The V6s being slow is more a matter of restriction and gearing than it being the engine's fault. For a daily driver you cant beat a brand new car for $5000, and the V6 probably has better fuel economy.

You guys should read more closely.
STILL EVEN HAS THE GREEN STICKERS ON THE WHEELS FROM WHEN IT WAS NEW OVER 22 YEARS AGO!

Wheels != Tires.
The wheels have green stuff from the factory, whatever that is.
20 year old tires would have serious dry rot on them so purchasing new tires prior to sale is not unexpected.

This guy obviously isn't a Tbird enthusiast. He just acquired a low-mileage car with the intent of flipping it.
-g
I wonder what he paid for it, he probably raped some grandma on the deal.. :rolleyes:

The wheels look great, I have a set of those on my (identical) car and they didnt look that good freshly powdercoated. Also the headlights look amazing.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yes, those are new tires. You can also tell from the date code - it's the new style of date they just switched to with letters. And yes, a new Walmart stereo is in there, too.

Still a super nice car! I fully believe anyone would have a very hard time finding a 1990 TBird in that kind of condition ANYWHERE!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, those are new tires. You can also tell from the date code - it's the new style of date they just switched to with letters. And yes, a new Walmart stereo is in there, too.

Still a super nice car! I fully believe anyone would have a very hard time finding a 1990 TBird in that kind of condition ANYWHERE!
I agree, even to swap a V8 into, everything on that car is immaculate. Its basically a new 1990 car, no need to worry about rattles or random parts breaking for the next few years.

I have no idea why someone would pay $15000 for a Chevy Sonic when they could get this car for $5000...

Its basically the exact car from this:

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
So im thinking most here wouldnt mod it?

I would totally but hold onto the original parts at the same time.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So im thinking most here wouldnt mod it?

I would totally but hold onto the original parts at the same time.
I'd do things like delete the air silencer, replace the exhaust system with the one on my car, perhaps go to SC bits for the suspension but I'd leave the rest of it stock.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Maybe get a fold down rear seat, replace the stereo with a more period-authentic one (or even a rebuilt factory unit!), new KYB shocks all around.

And that's about it.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
I agree, even to swap a V8 into, everything on that car is immaculate. Its basically a new 1990 car, no need to worry about rattles or random parts breaking for the next few years.

I have no idea why someone would pay $15000 for a Chevy Sonic when they could get this car for $5000...

Its basically the exact car from this:

I'd buy 1 of the half million more desireable MN12 models for a third of price. Regardless of miles it will need just as much attention as one with 180,000 miles for it to behave anywhere close to it was when it was new.

At under 20k at 5 large I'd keep it stock. It went 22 years without being ****ed with(besides the ugly stereo) so who am I to mod it? There's tons of other MN12s I can do that to that would be better foundations.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
That car is clean!

If I had to venture a guess..I'd say at some point the Head Gaskets blew..

It sits for years in Grandmas garage...Somebody buys it and repairs the Blown Head Gaskets..

With the intent on selling it...Because of the low mileage selling point..

Who knows??

I don't care for the color or the fact it has a V6..

Otherwise..

If you're really hard up for a clean bodied MN12 here you go..lol

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That car is clean!

If I had to venture a guess..I'd say at some point the Head Gaskets blew..

It sits for years in Grandmas garage...Somebody buys it and repairs the Blown Head Gaskets..

With the intent on selling it...Because of the low mileage selling point..

Who knows??

I don't care for the color or the fact it has a V6..

Otherwise..

If you're really hard up for a clean bodied MN12 here you go..lol

Rayo..
Thats probably exactly right, or she just got old and senile and the car sat forever. I don't mind the color or the V6 since mine is identical. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts