TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi just wanted to post some info about Wheels.. My Bird is a budget build.. I bought a set of Aluminum Volvo XC90 wheels for $40 that will bolt right up to the 5x4.25 or 5x108 lug pattern.. curious if anybody else has tried this?..

The wheels don't have tires yet but I'm planning to get some 245/40/18s

When I fitted the wheels to the car and they clear hoping they will still work when tires are mounted

Despite it saying Volvo in the middle they look way better then the factory stock ones IMO.. 18 x 8 wheel 49mm offset

Volvo Usually has pretty snazzy wheels so it may be an option if you're on a budget..

One Junk yard I go to sells wheels for $10 a piece..

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
7” offset? Yikes :tongue:

Offset is the measurement from the centerline of the wheel to the hub face, positive the hub face ends short of the centerline, negative goes past it(which is very uncommon), typically this is measured in metric. Backspacing is typically measured in inches, and is the distance from the hub face to the inside wheel lip. Either way 7” is ridiculous, I doubt that’s what they are but they’d be way tucked in if so, negating any benefit aesthetically or functionally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7” offset? Yikes :tongue:

Offset is the measurement from the centerline of the wheel to the hub face, positive the hub face ends short of the centerline, negative goes past it(which is very uncommon), typically this is measured in metric. Backspacing is typically measured in inches, and is the distance from the hub face to the inside wheel lip. Either way 7” is ridiculous, I doubt that’s what they are but they’d be way tucked in if so, negating any benefit aesthetically or functionally.
:facepalm: lol yeah I measured way wrong.. The 6 1/2 ( not 7 it was dark) inches was from the hub to the edge of the wheel..

The positive offset is 49mm so yeah my bad.. :laugh:

Either way they look like they will work

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I wasn't expecting them to fit the cars style so well. IMO our cars look best when they have somewhat factory looking wheels. My Tbird has a set of 17" wheels from tirerack and they are kind of bland, but make the car look a lot more modern overall. The factory 15" wheels look tiny now in comparison

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Look great! 245/45/18 is stock equivalent size. The 245/40/18 is a full inch shorter than stock. Speedo will be 2.1mph faster than you are traveling at 60mph (You'll read 60, you'll be traveling 57.9mph).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't expecting them to fit the cars style so well. IMO our cars look best when they have somewhat factory looking wheels. My Tbird has a set of 17" wheels from tirerack and they are kind of bland, but make the car look a lot more modern overall. The factory 15" wheels look tiny now in comparison
Id have to agree with ya.. I was kinda surprised myself.. Looking forward to getting these mounted on.. I'm really not to big on flash either.. Modern I think is the key word.. I eventually may put a more race style looking wheel but these will work good..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look great! 245/45/18 is stock equivalent size. The 245/40/18 is a full inch shorter than stock. Speedo will be 2.1mph faster than you are traveling at 60mph (You'll read 60, you'll be traveling 57.9mph).
Thanks! I may go that route I'm gonna get these mounted up soon as I get my Trans fixed.. Appreciate the support

·
Registered
462 Posts
Im pretty sure they will fit. Focus wheels fit and they are 18x8s at 55mm offset.

26869210_335913663571118_1047939155134251008_n.jpg

Now, I have a set of 17x8s on my bird at 42mm offset, with 255/50 tires. They are a very tight fit in the front. So Id just test fit them, easiest thing to do to make sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Im pretty sure they will fit. Focus wheels fit and they are 18x8s at 55mm offset.

View attachment 32747

Now, I have a set of 17x8s on my bird at 42mm offset, with 255/50 tires. They are a very tight fit in the front. So Id just test fit them, easiest thing to do to make sure.

Yikes! That's a tight fit!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice find. But I agree on the factory look, I used to have these Enkeis on my 89, they looked so perfect to me. But they got out of round and couldn't be balanced, I miss 'em.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

View attachment 32747

Wow those look really nice!!! I might have to find a set of those when the time comes.. looks great with the machined face

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
Yikes! That's a tight fit!!
An angle grinder will fix that right up! (joking, joking)

:rofl:

I bet that touches at high speed.

I'd mark the tires with something, and go see.

My motorcycle tire grows almost an inch in the front, at high speeds.

·
Registered
462 Posts
An angle grinder will fix that right up! (joking, joking)

:rofl:

I bet that touches at high speed.

I'd mark the tires with something, and go see.

My motorcycle tire grows almost an inch in the front, at high speeds.
What would you call high speeds

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
What would you call high speeds
Nothing I'll post here, lol.

You can expect tires to grow at 80mph.

For one, the center of the tread on my highway cars wears out fast if I inflate them over ~28psi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts