TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have experience with an 18x9 wheel with a 40mm offset on an MN12? If not, can any of you wheel experts predict any possible fitment issues? The wheel I have in mind is for the 2005+ Mustangs.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You will likely need spacers in the front. All of the MN12s I have seen with the new Mustang offset wheels have been 8 inch wide ones, those have less backspacing it seems.

Here is what a 36mm offset with a 3mm spacer (so a 33 mm offset) 17 x 9 looks like. I have maybe 3 mm of space between the wheel lip and the knuckle/spindle. I shouldn't need the spacer at all so the wheels might NOT be 36 mm offset, they rubbed the knuckle on two cars (but not my 89 with the old style knuckles).

you have to figure that the spindle is still angled away from the wheel, and with it a half an inch higher on the spindle that maybe it doesn't need as much space, but it wold be tight.

This picture is the stock 16 inch wheels, to give you an idea on how much it still is angling away from the tire/wheel:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
haha, thanks Shadow! I took all the 8 year old, 65k mileage stuff off the 97 and threw it on the 89. It is better than the 160k mile stuff, but not worth buying new for it since I don't know how much longer I am going to drive it, but worth the time for some better brakes on the 89.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The larger you go with rim diameter, the closer it can be to spindle, to a point. The 18" wheel will intersect it at a higher spot, where the spindle curves inward, giving you a bit more space. But a +40 in 18" will likely still need a small spacer. I was trying a 19 x 9" +40 wheel last night on the front of my car, it looks like it will probably just clear.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I couldn't find this picture last night/yesterday, but here is where MY 17x9 36 mm offset wheels touched the spindle. This is my 97 with the factory everything (why it is rusty and nasty here, but later painted and lightly cleaned up and the 89 magically has all the stuff from the 97):

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

I took this when fitting my 18x9's back in March. They are a +36mm offset and I run no spacers.

-Miller

1 - 7 of 7 Posts