TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after rebuilding the 4.9L straight six on the F-150....I'm looking for another project.

My buddy's dad has a 1949 Studebaker truck in his garage. Hasn't been started in 15 or so years....
I know NOTHING about studebakers.
So far without looking at the truck, it either has a 169 or 245 cubic inch six cylinder, says the internet.

Anyone know if a lot of people do Chevy small block swaps, or Ford Small block swaps into these trucks?
Or where to start looking for engine parts?

This is just something I'm looking into. My buddy isn't very car savvy, but it'd be a fun project for us, especially since no one NEEDS the truck, worst case scenario we sell it down the road if we can't get it to run.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. Though I don't know personally if there are any kits for installing a small block into the Stude, I'm sure it can be done. Hell they've put small block Chevy's and Fords into eveything under the sun, why not a Studebaker Pickup?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. Though I don't know personally if there are any kits for installing a small block into the Stude, I'm sure it can be done. Hell they've put small block Chevy's and Fords into eveything under the sun, why not a Studebaker Pickup?

Dont forget about the V8 Focus. If you can fit a V8 in a focus the Stude will take it.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
It is definately possible. . . .I saw a Stude at a car show once with a 350 cid in it. . . .to make it work there are two words to be aware of: "Custom Modification". My step father, a mechanic, once told me "Given enough time and talent with a torch and a welder, there isn't anything that you can't make fit in ANY car." :D. . . .This comment definately explains some of the things I have seen.

This sounds like a really fun project. . . .I think that maybe you could turn it into a show like "This Old House" and go visit the old Studebaker manufacturing facility in Indiana. . . .OK, I will stop day dreaming now. . . .

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A little off topic but there is a guy two blocks behind me with a Henry J for sale (which I want real bad) with a small Block Chevy. If you can squeze a small block in a Henry J you will easily fit one in a Stude.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Well, after rebuilding the 4.9L straight six on the F-150....I'm looking for another project.

My buddy's dad has a 1949 Studebaker truck in his garage. Hasn't been started in 15 or so years....
I know NOTHING about studebakers.
So far without looking at the truck, it either has a 169 or 245 cubic inch six cylinder, says the internet.

Anyone know if a lot of people do Chevy small block swaps, or Ford Small block swaps into these trucks?
Or where to start looking for engine parts?

This is just something I'm looking into. My buddy isn't very car savvy, but it'd be a fun project for us, especially since no one NEEDS the truck, worst case scenario we sell it down the road if we can't get it to run.

wow, all I can say, is I wanna be your friend!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
for a stude, put a chrysler engine in it .

·
Registered
406 Posts
or better yet, try to source an original stude 289 from a hawk or avanti....keep it all stude....

These things are super rare....please don't cut up the body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts