TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell what motor came with a 1979 ranchero I know its a v-8 and I have its vin number but I am trying to figure out if its a 351 or a 302.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dont worry I just found it I have searched for about 3 hours before I asked this question any way its a 302 I was going to get really happy if it was a 351 any way I gonna get it soon and set it up as a hauler for my bird so one day it will be really cool.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,789 Posts
Just a word on the Ranchero. My dad had a 1970 with the 351C that cookie would flat haul the mail big time !!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking of getting a 351 and transplanting it cause hell it will be really easy to swap. I cannot wait cause the body is in great shape I just got to work on the interior and motor work. It runs but needs a tune up.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
thats exactly what happened when i bought my 79 coug and found out it had the windsor i needed for my 94 coug. you can tell by the intake manifold. a 351W is wider than the 302. give me a pic and i'll tell you

·
Registered
388 Posts
also, for some help go to www.ranchero.us

i'd love to pick one of those up...specially a '72 429 with a 4 speed toploader......yumm

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Wow. That brings back some memories big time. When I was little (about 13) my Dad got his. I grew up with that car and drove it alot when I got my driving lic.. It was a '74 with a 351C 2 barrel, it was red with a silver stripe down the side. That's when Starsky and Hutch was the happenin' show. It was the first car I ever worked on with my Dad. I was the gofor :D. I remember going out with him for test drives after he did some mods on it. Various intakes, headers, heads, cams, posi, you know what I mean. Then when that wasn't enough, he dropped in a Boss 351C out of a '70 Torino GT that we had, and a beefed up C6 with a high stall converter. I would still have today, except that after my Dad passed away, My POS uncle sold it (and a bunch of other cars ). But that's a sore subject. Any way, Good luck on your plans for that baby! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts