TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,
My name's Ryan I was wondering if there was anyone in this forum that was using this chassis in dirt pure/hobby stock racing for v8s I know the 4 bangers mustang is popular at the dirt tracks...., I was looking for information on converting the rack and pinion steering to steering gear box style. The rules for the class prohibit rack and pinions. I'm kinda stumped about what I would want to look for, if I did try and swap the vehicle or if it's worth it.
I am going with a 1966 289 ford all cast iron probably 2 barrel Holley 4412, c4 tranny and probably a Ford 9". most everything needs to remain stock. I know I will be down on cubic inches to the 350s and 351s. I plan to strengthen the heads with screw in studs and if I have cash have the valves cncd for seats like 289 hipo heads. We can run steel stock ratio roller tip rockers. Hydraulic cams only. Unsure on what kind of dizzy at this time. Unsure on what gear ratio I would look to get as well. I will be running 1/4 and 3/8 mile short tracks.
If anyone has any input much appreciative. I seen in the archives some asphalt short tracks threads, but didn't see any about dirt. Let me know if anyone has seen some.

Also, if anyone wants some parts off this 84 thunderbird I have acquired I will be posting pics in classifieds. Some stuff might be useful to people

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
If you are using an 84, that is a fox chassis, so anything that works on a fox mustang will also work on that. If a 351 is allowed, I would run that instead of the 289. I’m not sure what to tell you about converting to a steering box instead of rack and pinion, as I have never heard of anyone doing that. Only thing I can suggest would be see if there is some kind of universal kit meant for fabricated dirt track cars and see if you can adapt that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts