TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running terrible. Bad Vacuum leak and I can find itet. Got A tick better. If I unplug EGR connector it runs a little better. Where is the ODB connector on these. Will my ODBII work on this. Running with no power. Put in new plugs. Noticed the EGR Valve was leaking replaced gasket Got A tick better Has anyone run into this on a 3.8L V-6 Thanks. Jerry

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
I'm just going to give generalizations here - as unfortunately I haven't had my hands on an 86 3.8 Fox for ... 25 years or so. :)

I would imagine the OBD connector would be under the hood somewhere. Again just a guess. It's under the hood on the driver's shock tower in the MN12.

You can use an OBD scanner but you can also get codes and run diagnostics without one. See these articles for info:

Reactions: eriejerry

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
By vacuum leak, I assume you hear hissing? It has to be either a gasket or hose. Those stethoscopes they sell at Harbor Freight - you can swap the bottom piece out for a tee and a length of vacuum hose and listen to all the connections.

Al

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys. First and fore most I want to thank you guys for all the information that you posted. The car had zero power. I could hear a strange hissing noise. I played with Distributor timing at first then we ordered a lot of smog parts. They sent us the wrong EGR valve and map sensor. This is my daughters car and the problem started with:"Dad my car only goes 10 miles an hour". The car has 84 thousand miles on it. The people we got the car from were snowbirds. They had a second home in FLA, and the car was parked every winter here in Erie and only driven in the summer months up here. The car has no rust underneath. The only problem was it has passenger side dents as the lady was up in her years and smashed the side pulling into the garage. It's not bad at all. This car is a 86 Mercury Cougar LS with the 3.8 liter V6 and digital dash. The dash board has very Dim lights. I ordered new bulbs and sockets for this and the are not here yet. The car, to read trouble codes, has the blink code deal. And another thing here is what light should I be looking at? Service light or. Is there an adapter to plug a scanner tool into? With the dash lights so dim and not being sure of what light to look at to get the codes I had no luck. The car is fine now, The transmission shifts just fine. The problem was the cats were plugged up to the max. We could not tell why the car would not shift out of first gear untill we got the motor sorted out. I have one happy Daughter. She loves this car. So Thank you guys for all your help. BTW I am rebuilding a 1977 Ford thunderbird. 37 k original miles. I bought it with a bad Tranny. Looking for parts for her. Sun visors are broken. Who sells new stuff for 77's? I am just getting around to getting her on the road. Parts are hard to find. Someone on here said for like headers and other parts use 1976 Torino parts the the chassis is the same. I changed the rear gear and got tranny rebuilt. I am hoping to have her on the road here in the next few weeks. So Thank You all for the good info as this has saved me many hours of parts searching and trouble shooting her car and mine. . You guys have a great day. Jerry in Erie Pa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just going to give generalizations here - as unfortunately I haven't had my hands on an 86 3.8 Fox for ... 25 years or so. :)

I would imagine the OBD connector would be under the hood somewhere. Again just a guess. It's under the hood on the driver's shock tower in the MN12.

You can use an OBD scanner but you can also get codes and run diagnostics without one. See these articles for info:
Thank You sir. You have saved me a lot of time. I am up in my years and in the old days gear heads always helped each other and I wanted to Thank you Sir for your help. The cats were plugged up bad and she runs great now. Have a great day brother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts