TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has been discussed a lot on this board but I've searched and can't find any clarifications on a few things,
1. Do I have to change the k-member?
2. Do I use the 5.0 mounts from a bird of the same year, or can I use mustang mounts?
3. Can I just use the accessories(power steering and such) that are already on my 351?
4. I heard about a steering shaft modification, does that apply to 87-88 cars?
I have a complete 1985 f150 as my donor truck, 351w 4 barrel, with c-6 trans. I know I need to get the rear sump oil pan and pickup tube, swap headers, and a shorten the driveshaft. It will be carbureted still, so what modifications do I need to do with the fuel system? Can I use the stock pump from the truck and run a fpr to lower it down where it needs to be? I'm gathering parts now so I can swap in a few months. Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
A.J.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Help is here Maybe?

Hello

The Engine mounts will have to come from a Thunderbird 86-88 5.0 (302)
No the Mustang mounts wouldn't work unless you swap front K to a Thunderbird 80 to 85.
Yes You will need the double hump oil pan. (M-6675-A58)

You most likely will have to use the 351W accessories, Brackets at least.

Steering mod will depend on Headers you use.

Are you going to use a Mechanical fuel pump? If so you can just unplug the Fuel pump in the tank.

You can keep the AOD or swap in the C6. The lengths should be similar.

I hope this helps. I do have a 85 coupe with a 302 carb.

Paul

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
good to see someone else doing this swap.

Funny, I used exactly the same year truck and everything(even the C6), in my 95 bird.

For headers, some mustang fox body swap headers should work...but don't hold me to that.

for that info, I would look on www.corral.net in their forums under the 5.0/5.8 section.

I know a few have done this swap you are wanting to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome guys, great info and thanks for the link. I may be able to pull this off cheaper than I thought!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you suggest as far as a fuel setup? The motor will have minor bolt-ons like intake, carb, mild cam, and full exhaust.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This topic has been discussed a lot on this board but I've searched and can't find any clarifications on a few things,
2. Do I use the 5.0 mounts from a bird of the same year, or can I use mustang mounts?
3. Can I just use the accessories(power steering and such) that are already on my 351?
I have a complete 1985 f150 as my donor truck, 351w 4 barrel, with c-6 trans. I know I need to get the rear sump oil pan and pickup tube, swap headers, and a shorten the driveshaft. It will be carbureted still, so what modifications do I need to do with the fuel system? Can I use the stock pump from the truck and run a fpr to lower it down where it needs to be? I'm gathering parts now so I can swap in a few months. Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
A.J.
The '87 Thunderbird is a fox chassis. It seems to me that you can use fox mustang mounts without problem. The accessories should work fine. To my knowledge any fox body mustang headers will work fine on the fox birds. One option for the fuel system is to power the in tank pump and use a step down bypass regulator. A good site for you to check out is www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did not know that about the Fox Birds. Even the 86 uses different mounts? I always assumed the 83 to 86 cars were the same. Good to know and plus 1 on Chucks mounts, they are the best.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Thanks,
A.J.
1. No, K-member stays the same.
2. Contact ChuckW on these forums for some custom made poly mounts.
3. The truck accessories you will likely run into clearance problems in the car. Get some fox body 5.0 accessories, and use the fox 5.0 timing cover on the 351. These will all bolt right on, the only thing is due to the taller deck height, you will need a slightly longer belt.
4. No, steering shaft issues are only on the 89+ cars.

Don't bother with the C6, your AOD will bolt right up to the 351W, which will allow you to keep a stock length driveshaft, as well as the advantage of having OD. I'm not sure how long the V6 trans would hold up behind a 351, but when it blows, it would be a direct swap to just change it out for a V8 unit. You could use your stock pump with a return style fuel pressure regulator, but the cheaper way if you don't mind dropping the tank would be to get an inline low pressure electric pump, then just remove your pump from your sending unit and put a hose on the end of it to act as a pickup for the inline electric pump. For headers, fox mustang headers will work, as long as you don't have a column shifter. If you do, you will need to convert to a floor shifter to get any kind of headers in there, especially with a 351 since it is wider than the 5.0.

·
Registered
368 Posts
any fool can drop a 351 in an older fox do yourself a favor and make her fuel injected
a stand alone ecu out of a fox body mustang is so easy to remote mount

then you have driveability flexability tunability and more abilities
X2, if I were you I would go with a Megasquirt setup though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not everyone has the time, money, or ability to do that kind of work. I'm just building a car to play with. I like the raw sound of a carbed and cammed v-8. I'm on a budget too. I need money left over after the motor swap for beefed up suspension parts, body work, wheels, tires, interior, etc. Thanks for all the info everyone.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Well a FI swap can be done almost as cheap as a carb. Just get a complete harness and computer out of an 87-93 5.0 mustang, and all of that will work just fine to run your 351. If you want to change the cam, intake, exhaust, etc, you will need to factor in getting a tune, but FI can be done with all stock parts, which keeps it very affordable. But its your car so its your call.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
He would still be in to the cost of a new or used EFI intake though, which for something that will fit under the hood of a passenger car are a lot less common for a 351 than a 302. Finding a deal on a used 351W aftermarket 4-bbl intake would be a lot easier I'd think.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
11 Posts
because of the increased deck height, he may still run into hood clearance issues with any setup. most people recommend a cowl hood for added clearance with a 351 swap.
also you could gain a little more clearance by spacing the k member down a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched for 3.8 to 4.6 conversion, and this forum came up. Any suggestions where I would find this conversion (I have 3 police interceptor 4.6s with transmissions to choose from).
Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
1. Do I have to change the k-member? no use a swap pan
2. Do I use the 5.0 mounts from a bird of the same year, or can I use mustang mounts? get chuckW mounds
3. Can I just use the accessories(power steering and such) that are already on my 351?should fit
4. I heard about a steering shaft modification, does that apply to 87-88 cars?no

I dont think the c6 will fit i would look for a c4
holy back from the dead thread batman

1 - 20 of 25 Posts