TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for any help I can get in do it myself mods to an 88 T-bird I just purchased. It will be running in dirt track (off road) races [I know it sounds crazy], so it doesn't have to be street legal, or pass inspections of any kind.

This is kind of just for fun, so I don't really want to do much in the way of $costly$ mods, just the free or very cheap stuff. I can handle most of the mechanical stuff, regardless of what it might be.

Currently, for the quick and easy, I plan to remove the mufflers and cat, and will be looking for easy ways to open up the intake. I plan to cut a hole in the front right corner of the hood and reverse mount (basically just undo the airbox and turn it upside down) the filter and intake into that hole, and then do a kind of mini hood scoop. Obviously, pretty isn't an issue here either.

If anybody has any suggestions of things I can do, please let me know. Also, if anything I mentioned above sounds like a bad idea, please let me know that too.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you are just going to be racing that car, strip it down and make it lighter. It will be faster, and it cost nothing to do.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've already started that. Took off all glass and plastic (headlights/taillights), trunk lining, rear seat, carpet, headliner, etc.

I need to pull at least some of the dash off, but probably not most of it, as I don't want to get into to much of the electronics on this thing.

So far I have also made a makeshift ram air induction, moved the collision detection/fuel cutoff switch up to center cockpit (removed switch and replaced with straight through wire); so now if there's a minor rub or bump during the race, the switch won't engage and kill the car, but if I need to kill the fuel to the engine, all I have to do is pull out the straight through wire loop between the seats.

Next I plan to remove the catalytic converter, as well as the mufflers. The mufflers concern me a little, since I'm not sure if there will be adequate backpressure once they are out. Anyone know that part?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
ye just cut the cats and put the mufflers right after the collecters....probably would sound mean....i think theres only one oem muffler for 3.8s but im not sure...but...maybe.....heres a cheap idea......cherry bomb mufflers from pep boys.....17.99......two of those.....rightt behind the collecters....probably sound like poo but wouldnt be to bad perfromance wise b/c of the backpressure from the crappy style mufflers.....also....throw a swaybar on there from some box body vehcile.....im sure that would sitffen your cars butt end out alot

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
heck forget the swaybar, just get a piece of metal tubing and weld it to the shock tower brace lol. You probably have one laying around and if not, it'd be cheap. Just like youquality and great looks.

I think removing the entire exhaust and putting on glasspacks will NOT provide enough backpressure for that little 3.8. Honestly, the electronically carbed motors weren't too great for performance. I'd gut the stock cats and cut it off behind that then put on some of those cherry bombs. I think that'll give better results.

OH and take an ice pick and punch a few holes in the hood. "they're speed holes!" - Homer Simpson.

-Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts