TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Glad to see there is a thriving community behind my car =p

I picked up a 89 t-bird (btw, are all t-birds mn12's or just certain ones?)
Now this car has all the bells and whistles, LCD display, Driver and passenger side Power seats, windows, locks, blah lbah. the interior is in 50/50 shape, some sun cracked panels, Door handles are broken (had to remove the handel to get to hte lock "stick" and i push on it to unlock the door, lol. Power windows work *thankfully cause i have to roll down the window to reach out and pull the door open from the inside. The power locks work, but the buttons inside dont..ie i put the car into drive and the locks....lock, but the buttons dont do squat. Steering wheel must have been gotten to by a Dog cause its missing chunks in certain spots.

Exterior is great minus a few hail like dings *3 total* the T-bird emblem is missing off the hood, but i want to put a aftermarked hood with the intake ports *fake i know, but i like the look*

Suspension needs work, badly.

Engine runs like a 4cylinder at the moment, no clue. I'm not a motor head =/ assuming it could be the fuel filter cause it is very obvious the last owner didnt take care of the motor, but i knew that when i got it *free* and was planing on buying a rebuild longblock and having a friend put it in.

Here is the question...finally. What options do i have for engines, i mean easy engines,
Would a 3.8 SC motor easily work with the LX? wiring harnes, mounts, all the fun stuff.
I've read mention of peope puting vortec Superchargers on the straight 3.8, is this risky, does it work well and reliable? (meaning will it make my engine throw a pistin through the hood =p)
any and all recomendations to squeeze every last bit of power out of this ride ( if the top 2 questions wont work reliably) Meaning a good intake, everything, i plan on making this my daily driver and know it will take money.

plan on doing the motor soon *friend is going to rebuild a 3.8 he took out of someone elses car and put it in mine with a 12,000/1year warrentee, no fine print, for 2grand) and the suspension shortly there after, then redo the interior, then paint the exterior jet black =).

Thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
467 Posts
ok...heres what im doing to my bird in this year span...

i've got the a/m hood...a mach 1.5...just like they used on the old mustangs..you gotta have this to be able to clear for your air cleaner and so on..(because i'm going to carb. so much easier to work on)

the engine im puttin in this baby is a 351 windsor...reason be is because i can squeeze alot more power out of this thing than a 5.0...

puttin an sc motor in your bird is just going to cost a lil more than puttin a carb. v8....fuel injection is just to ecpensive to pay money for..(unless you have it and I don't with college going on)

around here i got my block with the essentials(crank, block, heads so on) for 250$...you could maybe get it even less....kits for this motor aren't to bad..600$ for a good performance kit...but im guesing total parts for me is going to be about 900$..because its gonna be a little beefier..a conversion liek this isnt to hard to do on a suel injection motor...

also one of the biggest A+++ is that a windsor can bolt right up to the tranny with no problem..(as will a 302, because there the same block)

if you really want to get into this let me know and ill hand ya out some more information on this..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx man, Any more input, cmon, really want a broad range of options!! was hoping i'd get some more participation =/

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
if you want that car to be fast...sell it and buy a v8.

there are SO many things you would need to put a SC motor in the car, it would not be worth it. It will be MUCH cheaper and easier to buy a SC or V8.

MN12s are 89-97 birds and cougars.

·
Smoothmeister K
887 Posts
Vortech superchargers will boost your HP from 140 to approximately 205, and your torque from 210 to about 255. Not a bad way to spend your extra green. Once I'm done with my exterior mods, I'm going to put my money into my engine for a bit, and a Vortech supercharger is on top of my list. If I acquire more money before getting a supercharger, I may consider dropping in a 429 Cobra Jet (IF I have the money). Glad to see another Bird from Minnesota. Been down to Uni yet?

·
Registered
935 Posts
some thoughts.

I would stick with the 3.8 and make it into something. I mean if you got it for free its worth your time. AS for the SC motor it would be a P.I.T.A. I'd go with a Vortech if I were you. I'm thinking that's the route I will take myself. I just have to decide if I use the money I got from the guy who hit me, to fix the dent or Charge my block.

Sounds like you could use a new steering wheel? I have one froma 90LX that's in perfect condition (black). I'm willing to part with it for 10 bucks plus shipping.

Let me know and good luck with your car.

·
Registered
933 Posts
hey hey, i'm MN too
we gotta get together some time
(brainerd would've been a 4 hour drive for me)
the cities are only about 2 so that's coo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts