TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1990 Thunderbird. About 4 months ago the transmission would shift from 1st to second and when going into the third gear it would shift to early........ then it started slipping going into overdrive.............so listening to my father (who drives a race car and works on them) he tells me just to go ahead and drive it. I finally found out that the thing on the throttle cable was broke that fixed my trans from shifting to early but didn't help the overdrive I need help before I am walking.
When it shifts into overdrive it is like it is in neutral.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Check the condition of your fluid. It doesnt sound good for the overdrive band. If it is burnt, the rest of the tranny won't be too far behind.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The gromet being gone RUINED your overdrive.....to bad you didn't replace it with the brass one before now. So you toasted OD.....there are several things you "could" do to limp the OD back to life, unfortunatly, no fluid change or additive will get OD back. The band is toast
1) weld a bead on the end of the OD servo so it clamps more - requires dropping pan and
VB.
2) Clean up VB and existing OD servo.

To FIX the problem you will need to drop the tranny and install a new band (real easy) and put a "a" OD servo in the case so keep it from happening again.

Until you do any of these things, you are stuck in "D". You will not hurt the tranny anymore than you already have by driving it really. SO it is up to you to get a new tranny, work on the existing tranny, half a$$ it, or sell the car.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
you can buy used aod's dirt cheap as well. may be easier in the long run!

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
93 lx said:
you can buy used aod's dirt cheap as well. may be easier in the long run!
Yep, as a matter of fact, I have a couple available for sale.

-Rod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts