TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I plan on working on the grille of my Mercury cougar. In addition to the screws on the top, there appear to be two clips of some sort on the bottom of the grille, is there a way to get it off without ripping apart the front of my car?

Also, is there a way to get the chrome face-plate off? For the time being, I plan to keep it chrome , with plans to paint it "body color" later on. Any tips to remove the face-plate?

Tom; MN12/FN10 chassis

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
IIRC after you remove the screws at the top it should pop out if it's pulled directly forward. Be careful though because the clips are spring loaded and the aged plastic may break under the strain.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
After removing the top four screws, I hinge it open slightly and use a long flat-tip screwdriver to release the clips (two of them) at the bottom of the grill.

Body Color (Monochromatic) was a deal for the 1990 and 1991 Cougars - the body color grill on Ruby is sharp looking. I think the Cougar head emblem should be either bright chrome or black chrome myself, but eh - to each their own.

RwP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I got the screws off, released the clips, and took off 1 of the brackets off the Mercury Cougar logo. I left the one on until I figure out what I want to paint it: Monochromatic (Dark tourmaline green), black with a chrome lip, or re-paint it chrome/silver. Decisions decisions...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts