TCCoA Forums banner

1992 Thunderbird SC exhaust system modification

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Ron Andersen 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a challenge with my 1992 T-bird SC. I just finished the conversion from the 3.8 SC to a 302 GT V8. I received a set of shorty headers with the motor. The left side fit perfectly but I'm running into a challenge of the right side facing the motor. The steering col. is right in the middle of the opening. I've been looking around for a set of headers already made to fit but not seeing anything. So now I'm looking for someone in Northern Calif that might be able to build be one. Any ideas? thanks Ron

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The mustang headers won't fit. You need the headers specific for the 5.0 tbird for a drop in fitment with your existing SC exhaust from the headers on back.

Others use this method to relocate the steering shaft to clear headers. I don't know if it will make it so you can clear the mustang headers BUT we know they work with long tubes.
Honestly, that's the project I would consider. Find some used mustang long tube headers and fit them at the same time you do the steering shaft mod. You will end up redoing the entire exhaust anyway but I seem to recall some sketchiness in this cars exhaust so it shoouldn't be a big loss.

#5 ·
I did mine like this, no eyelet support bearing and only one aftermarket U joint is necessary. Aluminum plate with a firewall support bearing and a 3/4DD to 3/4 36 spline U joint and a length of DD shaft, the center U joint is reused from another MN12 and the breakaway shaft is the original with the telescoping section removed/cut down

I'm not a fan of the "traditional" steering shaft mod.

#11 ·
Thanks. I will do it that way. you’ve been a lot of help
The mustang headers won't fit. You need the headers specific for the 5.0 tbird for a drop in fitment with your existing SC exhaust from the headers on back.

Others use this method to relocate the steering shaft to clear headers. I don't know if it will make it so you can clear the mustang headers BUT we know they work with long tubes.
Honestly, that's the project I would consider. Find some used mustang long tube headers and fit them at the same time you do the steering shaft mod. You will end up redoing the entire exhaust anyway but I seem to recall some sketchiness in this cars exhaust so it shoouldn't be a big loss.
Thanks Gunn for the info. Appreciate it

Yes, but the metal plate doesn't just cover the hole, it holds the support bearing in place to hold the shaft in that further to the side location.

Fox and SN95 Mustangs use this layout

View attachment 41709
Thanks. I just ordered the parts. I think this is the only way.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, I'm trying to figure this out. Looks like you changed the direction under the dash at the interior shaft as well right? Also you added an additional plate of metal to cover the large hole left once the existing shaft was removed? Maybe doing it this way I can install the exhaust pipe then make the steering fit around it. If you can call me to explain better my number is 530-919-6694 Thanks Gunn. PS, I did make the motor mounts you suggested and they are installed. The complete drive drain is not completely hooked up. Thanks

Attachments

#7 ·
I seem to recall rules about modifying the collapsible steering shaft for lemons. I suggest you mock it up and show it to John pagel of evil genius racing (and head technical judge of lemons) before committing to a specific design.

#12 ·
Went on the lemon web page and found what you were talking about. Looks to me that they want u-joints in the steering columns as to not make spears.

Lemons rules
3.K.3 Collapsible Safety-Type Steering Columns. All steering columns must have a collapsing safety collar, dual-offset U-joints, or similar anti-spear safety feature. (These features were standard on production cars sold in the US from MY ’68 on; earlier vehicles, foreign-market vehicles, and non-OE systems or mounting may require modifications to meet this rule.)

#14 ·
I can understand the thought behind that, but there's a lot of real estate from the front or sides to the rack, and then a decent amount more back to the driver. That would take an impact that's likely not going to have a good outcome anyway.

I do think Matt's setup would qualify though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.