TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 94 4.6 for $400. the car was said to be running when the guy bought it last november out of california. he said it sat nov till feb because his son decided he did not want the car. he went to start it and it was missing. so his son took it to the gas station to get gas. on the way back it stalled and wont restart. i have a mac taskmaster obd2 tester it showed maf sensor out or peramitors, so i cleaned it. still no start. checked plugs and all black like running rich from maf not working correctly. replaced plugs. then replaced fuel filter. now it turns over, sounds funny but you need to hold throttle wide open. it will start but runs only at wide open throttle and like on 6 cly? it has spark on both coils. wires are correct (checked just in case)what am i over looking? are the injectors not working? the mac taskmaster shows NO codes?!?!? please any help. thanks Tim

·
Registered
855 Posts
Do you think the kid mistakenly put diesel in it? This may sound stupid and I imagine you would have smelled it when you replaced the fuel filter, just throwing something out there. We had a driver at my company do it years ago.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,262 Posts
Go back to basics. Do you have spark, Fuel, Air? Fireing order correct? Crank position sensor? After that your screwed. ha ha. The CPS prob. just needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
try unpluggin the maf.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Go back to basics. Do you have spark, Fuel, Air? Fireing order correct? Crank position sensor? After that your screwed. ha ha. The CPS prob. just needs to be cleaned.
i have spark, i have fuel at the schrader valve checked wires .in the right order unplugged maf the same. my next check is to take the injector rails out of the head mark the fire order on them then turn engine over and see if the injectors are firing and in the right order

cleaned or a new one?

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you have a broken chain, the cylinders on the side with the broken chain will fill up with the unburned fuel. Not hard to check for that, pull the plugs out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts