TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here recently my 1994 LX with the 4.6 has been acting strange. When gets super low on gas and refuels, it is sometimes prone to not run long. Or maybe not even start at all. I thought maybe was faulty fuel pump or clogged filter. I replaced both. Drove car maybe 16 miles then when tried to crank to return home, had surging idle briefly and now wont start and stay running. Spray starting fluid into it and runs till that sucks in then shuts off. Please, any suggestions. I like this car and dont wanna trash it. Its too nice and runs too good.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
Step one, tell us what maintenance items have been done to the car recently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New fuel pump and fuel filter. The not running issue just recently started. My gf would let the car get low on gas before gasing up, like really low. It would run for little while then randomly not start or shut off while driving. But after sitting for hours is would restart. So naturally I assumed it was sucking up trash, water, gunk, etc. Thusfore I replaced pump and filter. Last night I drove it like 17 miles after all was done and then wouldn't run on its own. But would run when spraying started fluid into it. A ford tech told me tonight to check EEC module on front left. That relays in there sometimes stick. Relays for fuel pump. Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
New fuel pump and fuel filter. The not running issue just recently started. My gf would let the car get low on gas before gasing up, like really low. It would run for little while then randomly not start or shut off while driving. But after sitting for hours is would restart. So naturally I assumed it was sucking up trash, water, gunk, etc. Thusfore I replaced pump and filter. Last night I drove it like 17 miles after all was done and then wouldn't run on its own. But would run when spraying started fluid into it. A ford tech told me tonight to check EEC module on front left. That relays in there sometimes stick. Relays for fuel pump. Any suggestions or ideas?
Don't trash the car, they are great cars and as good as anything you can buy new. There are some small issues that when addressed you will have a very reliable car for years to come.

Another member suggested the IAC, loosen it up a bit and see if the car will run. It is is a PITA to access, it is on the drivers side. If it improves you should replace it. Cleaning is a stop gap at this age.But after sitting for hours is would restart. . This is a very tell tale symptom and was mentioned in a TSB.

Check fuel pressure, you could have a relay or low voltage issue to the pump.

MAF could be dirty, clean it. Very easy to do, just get the MAF spray and a security torx bit.

Crankshaft sensor could be bad, wiring harness to it could be compromised.

Check for vacuum leaks. There is a tee on the passenger side past the PCV valve that could be an issue. Plug the second port on the PCV to eliminate EVAP system issues.

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key? Does it go out during cranking when you have the issue? Did you scan for any codes?

Less likely:
The EEC could be failing(94-95 have issues, but usually it is an injector stuck open spraying gas out the tail).

·
Registered
527 Posts
So here recently my 1994 LX with the 4.6 has been acting strange. When gets super low on gas and refuels, it is sometimes prone to not run long. Or maybe not even start at all. I thought maybe was faulty fuel pump or clogged filter. I replaced both. Drove car maybe 16 miles then when tried to crank to return home, had surging idle briefly and now wont start and stay running. Spray starting fluid into it and runs till that sucks in then shuts off. Please, any suggestions. I like this car and dont wanna trash it. Its too nice and runs too good.
For one IAC is no pain to get to just looks like it. Ive cleaned and then also swapped it lol. Disconect the big vaccume hose that plugs into your intake. I had to do mine I have a richardm ( so you might not need to un plug it if your running stock).

I can do it in/out the car less than 10 min, I had my girlfriend time me because we were bored lol

Easy : step 1 - use a light or work under light

step 2 - grab a 8mm socket and 1/4 ratchet or 3/8. 1/4 works better cause its not as long, and a extension

step - 3 pinpoint the bolts, then unscrew them, I started the one closest to the plenum. Loosen it just about all the way then do the 2nd bolt, lift up the valve the bolts should be hanging on by their last threads. grab your extension w/socket unscrew while holding the valve up

step 4 - slowly ease it out towards you. Pull the connector off. Reverse to install

Seems like a process bt really isn't, just don't over think it

Also you can clean your MAF even if it doesn't look dirty. Also check for vac leaks

vac Tee (follow yor pcv line to the back of your engine , youll see it)

Plastic tube that runs from that vac tee - behind the TB or plenum follow it to the other side theres another hose rite there ( I have pics if you want)

All the ones in the pass. fender well, 2 behind the fuel filter, 1 or 2 down the line from those. then follow until the lines go up near the tank there is 1 there also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the car has been running ok for 5 days until tonight. Drive the same 17 miles or so to work and wouldn't start to come home. I am at my wit's end with this. When the car runs, it rubs good. If I tap on the small computer box on front passenger side, the car runs for maybe min the shuts off. A ford tech said these go bad on tbirds. Think this may be an issue? How can I check?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the very front behind the headlight on passenger side. Guy said relays inside go bad with age and heat and may cause not running issues. Just so weird it ran fine all week in town then drove to work would crank to come home. Could it be throttle position sensor? Crankshaft position sensor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The trans shift position sensor may need replacement. Seriously. Car would start and run and then not even crank or click. Then an hour or two later it would start. Switch went bad. Check yours out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not the transmission safety switch you mentioned above. It always turns over and sometimes starts but only for 30sec-2 or 3 min then die out. Several mechanics told me it might be crankshaft position sensor so I researched what its job was. All symtoms of bad one point in my direction. So I picked one up last night to replace mine. Can this be done without removal of the a/c compressor? And also would a failed sensor throw a code? All I have is air intake temp code because I dont have that sensor connected. Ugh, this is aggitating. Having 2 broke down tbirds at same time. Having to share my Mustang GT sucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts