TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 1997 Cobra engine Harness plug into the 1996 V-8 thunderbirdECM harness? ( the one in the engine bay at the firewall) and will the 1994 T-Bird ECM plug accept the 1997 cobra ECM

Any advice that can be given on this swap would be a life saver, I am using the T-45 5 speed tranny also

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
To answer the questions, no and no. The easiest way to do this swap, as has been mentioned in hundreds of posts now, is to use the MN12 4.6L SOHC wiring and EEC. The engine wiring harness needs to have a few wires lengthened and a few plugs swapped out, and the EEC just needs to be reflashed or chipped.

-Rod

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
friendly

ok, I guest everyones advice is to do a search( which I did ) and not one thing on my swap....all DOHC swaps are with a AODE not T-45

I have learned one thing...dont ask any questions, even thought that is what this forum is for if i am correct

another point, If you dont have anything constructive to add, dont post

·
Super Moderator
7,485 Posts
Doing the swap with a T45 is no different than doing the swap with the auto trans, which is a 4R70W, not an AODE by the way. The only modification to the above advise would be to also see what people have done to make a T45 swap work. You're already going to have to reflash the computer to run the DOHC motor, so just have them delete the trans controls at the same time.

Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike I can name 1 major difference....SC has a hydralic clutch, 1997 cobra has a cable, there is no threats for this swap

·
Registered
476 Posts
Doing the swap with a t-45 isn't that complicated as it may seem. The 4.6L is the same regardless of which heads it has on it, so bolting up a t45 is the same as the sohc. There is alot of custum work and fabrication but its not really that bad of a swap. If you need help pm me i have a lot of notes and useful data on this subject.

Will

·
Super Moderator
7,485 Posts
Jim Allen said:
Mike I can name 1 major difference....SC has a hydralic clutch, 1997 cobra has a cable, there is no threats for this swap
Get yourself a pedal and master cylinder from an SC, hydraulic clutch line fittings from an SC, a 94/95 4cyl chevy S10, or a GM F-body, and get a clutch slave cylinder for a 94/95 4cyl S10. Use 3/8" plate steel to make a bracket to bolt the slave cylinder to the side of the T45 and have the slave cylinder push the stock mustang clutch fork. You will also have to get some hydraulic hose and use the chevy/SC fittings (they are exactly the same) and make a custom hydraulic line. As far as the shifter, you can do one of 2 things. You can buy/fabricate a shifter extension box, or you can simply modify the shifter handle and center console like I did. There are plenty of threads on the T45 swap that you should read through, but if you have any detailed questions, just PM one of us who has done it. We have all come up with different ways to solve the problems with the swap, so you can ask around and find out what different things we have all done.

Mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm using a T-45 tranny in my swap, but mine is a little easier being that my car is a fox bodied T-bird. I plan on using the FAST EMU for this as well. Seems a lot easier or at least less complicated that swapping in a 97' wiring harness and changing it to work with my set up. Good luck in your adventure and post pics when your working on it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts