TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so does anyone know anything about these cars? I had a guy offer me a trade in cars. Before i would do the swap, i would take it in and get it looked at, but do you think its a good trade?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
How does your car run?Has it ever left you on the road?Is it falling apart?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car runs like a champ! starts up after 1 turn over, sometimes just tap the key forwards and she starts. It has never left me on the road, but it would of if i didn't notice some things wrong. Although it did limp around when i melted my transmission... so thats pretty reliable i guess

My car is falling apart though. Gas tank leaks if i over fill it, struts are shot, brakes are seizing, rear diff is going to blow. and little rust on the body, tranny cooler lines leak, valve covers leak, and the water pump is leaking.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Hmm....Not to sure about the probes but I would keep the Cougar anyway.It's your choice though.I always like knowing everything that is wrong with my cars and I hate taken on other peoples problems.If any.You never know.

I bet your fuel filler leaks.You may only have about $300-$500 in repairs.

Go to the bone yard and drop another diff from an MN12.Probley about $100.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, im going to drive this diff until it blows, and we'll see were it goes from there. It could be the fuel filler, who knows, all i know alot comes out, probably a couple cups worth. Other than that, its not that bad, i would love to have the newer interior though

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

http://www.v8thunderbird.com/page3/festiva.htm

My Wife had a brand new 1996 SE when we got married. It was an okay car, but your Cougar is 10 times the car the Probe was. It depends on what your goals are I guess. I enjoyed mine but I we needed to sell it to get money for my Wife to stay home for a few years while the kids were little.

Probes will never win awards for their ease of repair or their parts prices. I would keep your Cougar for awhile and buy something newer later on.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
run like hell from a probe, nothing but a half breed pos !

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The Base and SE models have four bangers in them The GT's have a V6. They are Mazda drive trains. They handle very well and are fun to drive, but are a very harsh ride. The GT with a stick is fairly quick, but not hot. I had a '95 SE. I discovered that the automatics are a problem issue in these cars. . Mine went eight months after I bought it and it was gonna cost me 2,200 to get it fixed. That's when I got my 2000 Muskrat. Keep your car.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Start looking up prices for probe parts and you will know the answer right away. Here is a head start look up a MAF for a probe GT

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, after reading up on the probes and such, i think i'm keeping the cougar. It was the GT one with the v6, but i think if i work hard, i can squeeze a few more hp out of it (once i get it reliable that is) and the cougar will probably handle pretty close to the probe, with a much better ride. and alot more room and a trunk!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts