TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a '94 3.8L that's getting totalled, and it's looking like the insurance company's gonna buy me another 94, but this one's a 4.6. Are there any issues I should worry about, this being the first year of the modular motor and all?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Transmission and computer problems. They tend to have teh most problems with tras shudder and overall trans life. The computers tend to go bad and hang fuel injectors open too.

-Miller

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that all? I knew about the injector actuators hanging up and failing, and the trans crap is nothing new, my 4R70W has 150,000 on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
I've got a 94 4.6L cougar. I just replaced the computer because of hanging an injector open, but my trans seems to be in pretty good shape. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that it's got 182000 miles on it. In my opinion, the 4.6 is way more reliable than the 3.8 any day of the week.

Mike

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Spend the extra money and buy a 96 or 97, Those got the better heads and intake designs. Even if you get one with the plastic coolant crossover in the intake manifold you can easily replace it with a pi intake and pick up couple horses (i think it's 20 at the wheels but i could be wrong, do a search on it)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts