TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first 'bird and I have a question. My car is a 4.6 automatic that seems to shift good from 1-2 but 2-3 seems to drops into third at really low rpms. It just seems a little strange. I don't think it's slipping, just doesn't seem normal. Could this be caused by a faulty O/D button on the shifter? I am used to GM products, this Ford stuff is new to me. I love this car and I want to get it perfect. Any help with my learning curve is really apprciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Shifting 2-3 should have nothing to do with the OD. The OD is an additional 4th gear. Search the forum for J-Mod. That should solve your issues.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awesome! Another FL TBird! I also have a 94 and unfortunately these cars have sloppy shifting programming and valve body configuration. The shifts from 2 - 3 are very sloppy. This is my 3rd Bird and they've all done this.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
J-Mod

After the J-Mod, my 2-3 shift is firmer than any of the other shifts on my 1995!

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
After the J-Mod, my 2-3 shift is firmer than any of the other shifts on my 1995!
I find that hard to belive. Depending on how you did your J-mod, the 1-2 shift should be the firmest.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also had a 94 4.6l. I always had problems with it jumping in and out of OD while crusing over 60MPH. It did it even when i used Crusie Control. It wass annoying as hell!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
After the J-mod, mine is also still sluggish in 3rd, even though the shift is crisp. It is the delay from when the shift occurs to when the TC lockup occurs. You are kind of in no man's land until it locks up!

Of course, this is low speed cruising only.

Al

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I also had a 94 4.6l. I always had problems with it jumping in and out of OD while crusing over 60MPH. It did it even when i used Crusie Control. It wass annoying as hell!
I had the same problem on my '95; after the j-mod, my problem went away.

Trunk Monkey said:
I find that hard to belive. Depending on how you did your J-mod, the 1-2 shift should be the firmest.
No lie, but I also put the purple spring in under the 1-2 accumulator (Daniela INSISTED - said we aren't teenagers anymore :( Talk about a buzz kill, huh?). Of course, 2-3 only hits harder if you leave it in Drive; if you manual the 1-2 shift, the 1-2 is MUCH harder of a shift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts