TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, now this car has 170,000 miles and there is so many issues it wouldn't pass smog or even get to a point that the shop could smog it. When you start it it runs fine for a few seconds then the idle fluctuates and the whole car rocks and sputters. After 30sec to 1 min the check engine light goes on and the idle smoothes out, then after 5 minutes the whole cycle starts over and it starts to sputter. There is no white or black smoke out the tail pipe, but it smells a bit of burnt oil. Now, I know ya'all will say sell the car, but at this point that is not an option. It had some other kind of computor sensing system other than OBD II, so the auto shops don't have the right reader. Any thoughts on the idea?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
94 GM would still be OBD-I, you can use a paperclip and the check engine light or a volt meter to read the codes.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

You can also get an OBD-I reader, I have one and have used it frequently on my 89 Cougar and my fathers 89 Town Car and Grand Marquis.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe dirty/defective IAC?

Jay

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
First get the codes read, then go from there. Go to autozone and they will scan the codes for you for free. That check engine light will point you in the right direction of what is wrong. Get that info and come back and we'll be able to figure it out instead of just taking guesses.

Mike

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To the season posters here are the codes

118- ECT or EOT CKT high out put
122-TP or ACC pedal pos signal too low
332-EGR valve not opening
536-Brake on/off ckt fault

The last one is thought to be the modual that conects the brake switch to the module..As far as the rest I have no idea...

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Ok, to start with, check the ECT, TPS, and EGR to make sure all of them are plugged in. The brake on/off switch has nothing to do with emissions or engine idle, so we can deal with that later. If everything is plugged in, try replacing the ECT sensor and see where that gets you. Also check the TPS signal voltage to see whether there is a problem with the TPS sensor itself, or something in the wiring going to it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the EGR silinoid and cleaned it out and attempted the EGR but it is way back behing the intake manifold and with my gorila grips, meat hooks or hand are too big it get that bolt off to pullit. Where is that ECT? How do I test the TPS when I pull the harness off? When I start the car and pull any of the sensors the car dies...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Do you need help? Gimme a ring, I don't know exactly what is wrong, but I can help you out if you know where everything is at, and I can bring my freakin toolbox....

Call me!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature Sender should be on the coolant crossover at the front of the intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts