TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, please read my post first before you flame me. I have used the search feature and read numberous threads.

Where my knowledge of cars stops is automatic transmissions for many reasons. For one I have never worked on or read up on how automatic transmissions work. Plus IMO they suck!!!!!!

And I am sure we can all agree hoe weak the auto tranny in our tbirds are.

I have done what I am willing to do as my tbird is a complete POS and every time I drive it I hope it blows up!

I have two problems relating to the transmission. My biggest is is wont shift out of first gear at all. Weather it is in drive, 2nd or 1st gear, it wont shift out of first at any speed, and temperature, doesnt matter.

A while back (6 weeks ago), the transmission started acting up and sometimes it would not shift at all from first gear. In those cases I would stop, shut off the car, restart the car and it would occasionally shift.

After a few weeks of this is now refuses to shift out of first gear at all. So I end up going around town at 40mph maximum since it wont go any faster in first gear. I can get up to about 48mph max.

From my reading I can now determine it is my 1-2 actuator that is failing and NOT the 1-2 spring.

Other than a tranmission flush and refill, I dont feel like putting ANY amount of money into the car as I will most likely drive it til it dies!

Other than that, I have a neutral safety switch issue where it doesnt like to start sometimes. sometime I will try for 5+ minutes trying to get the POS to turn voer to no luck!

Is there anything else I should be aware of or know about?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Well right away I think you might need a new MLPS.

If it is such a POS why don't you just sell it or scrap it instead of comming on a Tbird forum and expressing how much a POS your Tbird is.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
probably is the MLPS, I too live in vegas, as a matter of fact we are having a meeting today at 2pm http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=102991&page=2 Gordon lives out here as well and just got done doing a tranny swap, he might have some tips for you, you might even consider cleaning the tranny plug connections, gordon just did on his 94 and its working much better, come on by and we'll have a quick look at it.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Pizza, Pepsi, and water will be provided by me. Mountain Crest Park, durango and lone mountain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im expressing the fact that the tbird is a dump so no one recommends upgrades and repairs that I wont ever do.

I simply want to get the transmission to shift and thats all. considering i dont know anything about automatics or these tbirds in general, that is why I asked.

thanx for the invite guys, but this is my only day off this weekend. plus i live in GV n d that is quite a far drive.

Although I must say you guys are much more welcoming in las vegas than the 300zx guys are!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im expressing the fact that the tbird is a dump so no one recommends upgrades and repairs that I wont ever do.

I simply want to get the transmission to shift and thats all. considering i dont know anything about automatics or these tbirds in general, that is why I asked.

thanx for the invite guys, but this is my only day off this weekend. plus i live in GV n d that is quite a far drive.

Although I must say you guys are much more welcoming in las vegas than the 300zx guys are!

and would someone please specify mlps for me? thanx

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
OK, please read my post first before you flame me. I have used the search feature and read numberous threads.

Where my knowledge of cars stops is automatic transmissions for many reasons. For one I have never worked on or read up on how automatic transmissions work. Plus IMO they suck!!!!!!

And I am sure we can all agree hoe weak the auto tranny in our tbirds are.
You will get no argument from me about the 94 trans. It is a piece of shat on a shingle with no ketchup. I broke my 94 trans within a couple hundred miles. It was supposedly rebuilt. Broke the second trans, which was a 99 gt trans, quicker. Though it did have some help! :headbang:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
or 1-2 accumulator and springs need to be done...along with filter and fluid

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Its probably actually in 2nd which is the default gear when the electronics either fail or the computer sees a problem and puts it in limp home mode.

If it is actually completely stuck in 1st then that would be very weird to say the least.

Darrin

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Is it really only first gear, or is it only second gear? If you let off the gas do you have engine braking or does it freewheel? Any forward gear you manually select you only have the one, right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
i faced the facts as had owned a 94tbird from new off the lot <3 trannys>...ok then i buy a 94 f250 4x4..had less than a month and bam had to get the tranny rebuilt...I M O ford slipped bad on tranny's in 94

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i guess it may be stuck in 2nd gear. maybe that why it always hesiates until about 1800rpms. but still, it is quite frustrating.

i dont wanna do much of anything to it since I assume once it breaks for good I will part it out.

will the MLPS fix this problem of will I need to go inside and do the 1-2 spring and accumulator?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
start with the mlps and go from there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx for all the help guys. a new (and cheap, only $22.00) MLPS olved the shifting and starting issue.

also went around and tried to clean all te connections for the battery and starting purposes. The ThunderCrap still doesnt like to start in park. But a simple jiggle of the shifter helps tremendously.

Next is a tranny flush with better fluids. thanx again guys!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
or 1-2 accumulator and springs need to be done...along with filter and fluid
x2

My spring broke into 3 pieces and wedged the old piston in there. A little light sanding with some 600 and new parts ($20), 184,000 miles and still going.

But I see you fixed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts