TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a bear of a repair on my '95 Tbird. Started out with the cooling fan starting to run as soon as I turn the key to start. Didn't matter that the engine was dead cold from setting all night. But if I left the fan running for a few minutes, it would cut off and the engine would start. Now during these episodes I noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump run like normal at start up. Also there was no check engine light.
My first suspect was a faulty IRCM (Integrated Relay Control Module) so I replaced that. Nothing. Then I checked the power to the PCM or computer. I had power to all the correct pins and all the grounds were good. So I replaced the computer. NOTHING. Finally I found a website with info for this particular issue. Tried disconnecting the big black block connector on passenger wheel well in engine bay. Turned the key and presto. The fan was not running and the check engine light was on. The person who posted the info said it was the EGR position sensor on the back of the arched plenum behind the throttle body. I thought no way..... It took some contortionist type moves but I got the connector disconnected. THE CAR FIRED RIGHT UP AND RAN LIKE A CHAMP.
Now my question is this: Will it hurt the car to just run it that way other than the check engine light always being on??? So far the car runs great and I saw a 27 mpg from a days driving with it just left unconnected.

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point on the light not telling me of other problems. On one I had before it would flash when a new code was thrown. But never the less it should be fixed. I double checked the mileage when I saw the 27, it was correct, maybe some difference in the angle of the car at fill up but that would be about it.
Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts