TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A real cream puff here, if anyone is looking. I wonder how high the reserve is? $10k?

Being in a climate controlled garage, does that help preserve the rubber boots on the suspension? I guess you would be able to tell with a visual inspection and a test drive.

Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe 2 Door | eBay

It's a beauty! It's rare to see the original red so pristine. The reds fade more than any other color.

Al

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
That is gorgeous! The sunlight really makes it pop.

Looks like the bidding started at $6,500.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's usually the seller that starts the bidding. By the way they talk the car up, there is still a ways to go to hit the reserve.

Al

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
I think the second worst fading color is Alpine Green, both looked stunning when pristine like that, but most in that red now a days look like metallic pink.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
KBB value given all that is listed is ~$3000. It's sad but the minute you get T-boned at an intersection you just lost at least $3500 instantly.

As much as I don't like to admit it, these are just cars and not popular ones at that.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
That's why, if you plan on dumping beaucoup bucks into an MN12 on mods..
You're better off driving it once in awhile vs making it a heavily modded daily driver..

The same goes for buying a "cream puff"..You would be a fool to daily drive it, and risk getting into an accident with it..

That is, unless you have special collector car insurance on it that would pay you an agreed value for your car..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
That's why, if you plan on dumping beaucoup bucks into an MN12 on mods..
You're better off driving it once in awhile vs making it a heavily modded daily driver..

Rayo..

I take huge exception to this, buying a cream puff for way over KBB is one thing, but for me and many others who do exactly as you describe, that's total bullshit. I didn't start modding my car way back when so I could stop driving it later. As far as I'm concerned I'm making a piece of history, not preserving it, and if I ever wreck it, so be it. Yes, I'd be devastated, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing it provided me a hell of a lot of experiences and fun up to that point.

Not to mention, barring some ridiculously catastrophic wreck(in which I probably wouldn't survive anyway), I should be able salvage a quite a few, if not all, added parts to sell or transfer over a next project. And in the case of the protected garage queens out there, flood, wind and fire can put a quick end to that protection. Don't take things for granted, I hate driving cars that don't fit *me*, and given all the driver distractions now a days a lot of other people don't like their regular cars either, they need to distract themselves from the suckage of their Corolla. Truly, that whole pressure to drive beaters and econoboxes to preserve the baby has to be the most corrosive aspect to automobile hobby and culture there is, more than regulation and law enforcement combined. The people doing so see their fun car as the expendable asset when money gets tight, rightfully I might add, since it's never driven. It reinforces stereotypes to younger generations that certain cars are too "impractical" to have - "V8s are too inefficient!" "two doors isn't enough", "that's old, so it's dangerous!". And in an act of self fulfilling prophesy it nearly limits exposure of the cars YOU would like people to like and admire as well.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
I see your point..

Looking at it from a different point of view though..I'm ok with driving another vehicle 70% of the time..

Then I appreciate how much I really enjoy driving my MN12 the other 30% of the time..

I realize not everyone is in a position to own more than one vehicle..
If they can afford to drop $2-3K in mods or more, then they can usually afford to buy another vehicle though..

The main point I was trying to make is by limiting the driving exposure of your MN12 you limit the chances of it getting totaled..

There's a flip side to that coin as you mention though, being that limits the total amount of fun you have with the car as well..

There's a handful of guys on here that own more than 1 MN12, so they can have their cake and eat it too.. :D

I'm really ok with limiting the exposure of our cars..I honestly don't think it's a detriment to our platform..

Considering how long our cars have been around..We missed the aftermarket support bus a long time ago..lol

You are definitely the exception though..YOUR car is the test mule!

I would rather own more than 1 MN12..So I could beat on 1 testing mods out on it..

Then depending on the success, or failure of said mod transfer it over to my nice car if it's worth it..

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I bought my Cougar from Texas back in November of 2014 for $3600. It was almost fully optioned unlike this car. At that time it had 22k on it but wasn't perfect. All of the ball joint boots were broken, the rear endlink bushings were gone, the brakes needed replacement, and it still had two original tires. I did all the work and drove it for a year before selling it in February for $5600 with 34k on it.

Maintenance is everything in these cars. Just because it's been sitting in a garage doesn't mean things haven't aged. I would never pay 10k for that car but I also think the 96/97 4.6 cars are more desirable. It might be worth five grand if things have been kept up.

Cars are meant to be driven. I know my bird has been grounded for a few years but I am itching to get it back together so I can drive it. It will be driven as often as possible but will not see winter. It came from California/Arizona in 2009 at 38k for $3500 and currently sits with 49k, by the way.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I was still looking, I would pay $6500 for it, and drive it almost daily. Though with that color, a car cover would be mandatory.

I am only an hour from the car. The exterior pics are very poor, in very low light. They should have brought it out in the sun.

Al

·
Administrator
8,005 Posts
I am surprised how worn the passenger seat belt is in one of the pics it's all ripped on one side
Rodents maybe!

Maybe it's me, but a few things don't seem right. If this has been kept in a climate controlled garage all it's life, there seems to be surface rust on a couple of things under the hood. And the undercarriage looks to be touched up with a lot of flat black spray paint.

Joe

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this car sold for $7100, but in typical ebay fashion, the buyer flaked. So it is up for sale again.

Rodeo Joe, I am not seeing the issues you are referring to. Any rust under the hood is very minor, and the underside looks like typical overspray of an undercoating job of some sort. If it truly is what they are saying it is, NC Winters are very kind to cars, but we do have typical East Coast humidity, so maybe the minor rust was caused by that. The first thing to show up from humidity is white spots on aluminum surfaces, like the alternator. And it doesn't have any of that.

If I was still looking, I would be all over this car, especially since I could see it in person first. I might go look just for the hell of it. New suspension would probably be in the future, but maybe not for a while.

Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe 2 Door | eBay

Al

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The auction is ending Friday at 10:00 AM EST. Not a single bid this time. Really needs some updated pics in better light.

I get the impression that the 94-95's don't get much love, compared to their 96-97 brothers. A 96 Cougar that went up for sale the same day as my 95 has a 3-1 advantage on "views".

The 94-95's will out-option the 96-97's (on average) every day of the week. But it appears the improved torque (and 3.27 gears) of the newer 4.6's, and the newer "look" seems to appeal more to MN-12 enthusiasts.

Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts