TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been searching and searching and have yet to find where the hell the blower resistor is. my blower is running constantly and i have checked and replaced fuses etc and problem still continues so we think it is the blower resistor and or control module i am about to go to the junkyard to pull parts and we are lookin behind my glvoebox and under it and cant find the freakin resistor anywhere...also my temp reading onthe digital auto contorol is not working however the knobs will turn it too cooler air but not controleld its like it is stuck onthe last temp i had it set to beforei t went out....blwoer does nto stop but some cold air does come through. im trying to sell my car need this fixed today

so where is it located exactly??? thanks guys , Clarence

·
Super Moderator
9,262 Posts
It's not a resistor since you have SATC. It's a PWM controller module, and is located next to the blower motor which is behind the glove box. Look for a module with a heat sink attached which has wires coming out of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i got two modules just in case one was bad from upullit... we put both of them in and neither one worked....we did see the display flash 11 or something for a second as i was unplugging the first one but then nothing....so i am lost now.... and just wasted 20 bucks on two modules...that were not the issue... andi got a guy coming to look at the car in half an hour or so...thoughts suggestions??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there another fuse or something behind the display that could be fixed??? i have had four of these cars 95 95 97 95 and never had this issue before

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
I'd suspect the SATC unit has gone south before the blower controller, especially given the display issue.
Maybe.

Most of the ones I find in the junkyard are rusted and corroded due to water infiltration.

My experience is the blower speed controller blowing personally.

Just a data point ..

RwP

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I'd suspect the SATC unit has gone south before the blower controller, especially given the display issue.
*Threadjack*

SATC versus EATC...?

I figured out it means semi-automatic, as applied in the Thunderbird.
And Electronic Automatic..., as applied in the SHO's.

Are there differences (logic) in how they control the temp in these two different applications?

I find the blower won't start until the engine gets up to temp in the SHO but my 92 SC starts blowing regardless of engine temp.

*Threadjack off*
:wiggle:

·
Super Moderator
16,990 Posts
There should be a cold engine lockout sensor on the 92 to prevent that. It would be in the heater tube with a stud terminal.

Functionally they're pretty much the same. EATC uses electronics to switch vacuum ports whereas the SATC mechanically switches them via buttons(91-93) or knob(94-97) dirctly. That's really the only difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another thread jack ****

I was driving to work yesterday and heard a couple pops, a puff, and smoke came pouring out of the dash from behind the glove box. I checked all visible wires and nothing is fried, but the blower no longer blows air. I have an extra blower and SATC module, but haven't swapped them yet. Is it possible for the SATC to short out? My display still looks completely normal when I turn it on, still reads 60, which it has been set at. Any thoughts on what could have happened would be helpful.

Also, the AC fuse was still good after this happened.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
No resistor on the SATC.

However, the control is done by a pass transistor - and I'll lay dollars to doughnuts that IT fried on you.

RockAuto lists them - when I checked, they had one Motorcraft in stock for under $120, but two others for around $125 or so.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Cool, that's what I was thinking. I thought that I had a spare, but that is not the case. I'll grab one from PnP here in Va. Beach this week. Hopefully, that one works lol. Not dropping $125 on a module at the moment. Gotta replace 2 tires tomorrow, replace the intake manifold gaskets this week and fix a power steering leak.
Grab a couple of spares while you're at it.

When done, PM me if you won't mind sending me the blown one - one thing I'm doing in my "copious free time" (HA!) is reverse-engineering these so we can fix'em later.

RwP

·
Registered
22 Posts
so for my issue the satc??? should fix the problem here? or what?? been dirving my other car so i haven't used the bird in months.. need to get her on the road.. didnt sell it yet

the blower in the car just runs nonstop :eek: so satc?

and how do i fix it?

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
so for my issue the satc??? should fix the problem here? or what?? been dirving my other car so i haven't used the bird in months.. need to get her on the road.. didnt sell it yet

the blower in the car just runs nonstop :eek: so satc?

and how do i fix it?
Do you have SATC? Have you run the internal diagnostics? Have you purchased the shop manual for your car yet?

I ask because all the troubleshooting steps are laid out in that, and at about $25 or so from Helm Inc. new (check on the price on eBay for used) you'll save on the mechanic fees than the manual will cost you.

But on all the time - could be the relay that the SATC uses to run the fan at full speed (bypasses the PWM portion of the speed control module). I'd try the speed control module (hangs off the blower motor about where the resistor would be) first, but that ... is what you'll need to find a good one in the yard for.

Or, you know, buy the book and do the pinpoint tests. Cost $25 or so up front, plus the multimeter if you don't have one (hint: Harbor Freight quite often has multimeters that are good enough for this on "Free with Coupon!") but will avoid wasting the money on a BMSC or a SATC head if that's not the problem.

RwP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts