TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my LH exhaust manifold break off at the collector today. That's when I found out how hard these things are to buy. Maybe I'm just impatient but seems to me there is very little available for the 96 V-6 Birds.

I'll probably replace the whole system while I'm at it but am having a hard time finding all the parts. I don't want any part of the dual exhaust kits. I want OEM type stuff or upgraded stuff without all the modifications.
Walker systems go from the manifold to the resonator(?) for $440. But I can't find a kit to go from there to the exhaust tip.
I've called everywhere and cannot locate an exhaust manifold brand new. The dealership was no use either.
Found all kinds of V-8 stuff for the 96 and 97 Birds.

What do others do when they need 96 or 97 V-6 parts?

I don't even want to drag the 89 back out on the road while I hunt for parts.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
When ever I go to the local salvage yard, it seems like V6 Thunderbirds are all I see. Especially 89-95. I would try that if you already have not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When ever I go to the local salvage yard, it seems like V6 Thunderbirds are all I see. Especially 89-95. I would try that if you already have not.
The exhaust manfolds changed in 96 for the V6.
I'm not seeing any 97 V6 parts at all, I see alot of V8 listings.

I did find someone on here that had a set of 96 V6 manifolds. They should be on their way here by now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got it installed. For those who have not done this before and are wondering.. It's not all that bad. Having an air ratchet sure made it easier than trying to hand ratchet those studs and bolts out. Having an extra hand would of been nice but I was able to get it all back up in there and the bolts started without too much cussing.
Surprisingly everything came out and or off no problem. Marinating in P B Blaster for 2 days never hurts either;).

<EDIT> Just want to mention that the miss I thought I had is what I believe to be a major balance issue from the "Iceburg Incident". I just found out that my Harmonic Balancer is badly damaged.<EDIT Off>

Now it's back to the problem that caused this to snap off in the first place. I have a severe engine miss that comes and goes. When it is present it rocks the engine violently. When it's not present the engine runs as smooth as silk. I found out last week that if I start it up and the engine miss is present I can shut it off and restart it again, repeat until engine fires up smoothly..
This all happened after I put a watermelon size chunk of road ice through the front end at 70 MPH. It wiped out everything up front and this miss has come and gone since.
Looking at the crank sensor tonight I noticed it looks as if it is dragging on the pulley,balancer or whatever you call the main crank pulley set up. Should that outer ring be loose on that thing?

UPDATE: Replaced the crankshaft balancer and all is well again. Runs like new.
Still debating on what to do for new exhaust from the headers back. I guess I'll stumble across something by the time it is needed..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts