TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this possible? I have a 1994/1996 ( the title says 1994, but when i check the VIN # on the car itself, it comes up as 1996 ) LX 3.8...I also have two 93 5.0 mustangs that a friend crashed..egine..tranny..headers..all good..would it be possible to swap the 3.8 for the 5.0 in my Bird?...any technical articles? cost? etc etc etc?

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
It it but like everything else it will take some work, if you're up for it. Might want to check the smog laws, some states you're not allowed to install an older model year engine in to a newer one.

Joe

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't think that's a good swap for you. If you had a 93, it would be, but the law is a major obstacle, as Rodeo Joe said. Two more obstacles are your car's computer and tranny. Your car's computer works with a 4R70W tranny, which is electronically controlled. I don't know if you can make it work with an AOD, which has no electronics. Also, a 4R70W doesn't bolt to a 5.0. So I think you would need a 5.0 engine, the AOD tranny, and a 5.0 computer and harness, at least.

Can you sell a 5.0 and buy a 4.6 with it? That would be easier.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 3.8 and the 5.0 have the same bell housing pattern? I thought they did.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I have the 5.0 engine ( 93 ) stock....the manual tranny, racing headers and harnass..we took em all off the trashed mustang.

a mechanic was the one who told me to swap it...he said it would work with some slight modification and parts to my 94 bird...but now it might be that my bird is a 96...the manual and lock code card all say 94...but when the car parts dealer punches my vin # thats on the car...not the sticker in the computer..it comes up as a 96..I realized this when i bought parts for a tune up and some that head that the 6 wires plug into...on mine is square and the dealer gave me a round one with six plugs...weird.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
S_Mazza said:
Also, a 4R70W doesn't bolt to a 5.0.

Why not? The 3.8L and 5.0L share the same bellhousing bolt pattern, as Rodeo Joe mentioned.

-Rod

·
Registered
95 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 3.8 and the 5.0 have the same bell housing pattern? I thought they did.
I'm pretty sure that you are right. The trannies for a 3.8 and a 5.0 have the same bell housing. A friend of mine took an AOD out of a 3.8 t-bird and put it in his 5.0 Mustang

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Bull said:

I'm pretty sure that you are right. The trannies for a 3.8 and a 5.0 have the same bell housing. A friend of mine took an AOD out of a 3.8 t-bird and put it in his 5.0 Mustang
Is the tranny still running? Because it probably won't for very long.

Anyway yes, a tranny from an 89-97 3.8 or 3.8sc will fit on a 5.0 block. A 4r70w from a 94-97 tbird will NOT fit on a 5.0, they have a different bellhousing.

And how in the world would a 4.6 swap be easier than a 5.0 swap? He'd need a different 4r70w transmission for the bolt pattern. Plus they're newer which generally means more cost. And plus he already has the 5.0

-Thomas

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is the tranny still running? Because it probably won't for very long.
It didn't do very well, but that's because he can tear-up any transmission out there. Anyway, he put a shift kit in it and it seems to be doing fine now.

·
8,978 Posts
YES

mn12xr7: the 89-93 5.0's, 94-95 GT's, and 89-97 3.8's have 6 bolt bell housings and the 4.6 has 8 bolt bell housing.

-Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Thomas,

I fairly certain that mn12xr7 is saying that a 3.8L 4R70W transmission will bolt up to a 5.0L engine. I don't think anyone is trying to say that a 4.6L 4R70W transmission will bolt up to a 5.0L engine.

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts
racecougar said:
Thomas,

I fairly certain that mn12xr7 is saying that a 3.8L 4R70W transmission will bolt up to a 5.0L engine. I don't think anyone is trying to say that a 4.6L 4R70W transmission will bolt up to a 5.0L engine.

-Rod
I was referring to someone else who had said that swapping to a 4.6 would be easier than swapping to a 5.0. But it appears that post has since been deleted. Oh well. At least the info is there in case someone searches for it, they can find it :)
-Thomas

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Yeah, your right Rod, the 3.8 will bolt on to the 5.0, how different are the 4r70ws from the 3.8 to the 4.6s, different input shafts???

Thomas I don't know who you are referring to.

·
8,978 Posts
I don't believe they have different input shafts because I know of several people who have put mark viii TC's into a 3.8 4r70w. I do know the starter housing is different between the two though. The 3.8 is held on by two bolts and the 4.6 is held on by 3. The 4.6 also has more clutch packs but I think that's obvious, and doesn't really have anything to do with bolting onto another car.
-Thomas

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
So maybe if he wanted to use the 4.6 4r70w he would need to keep his starter housing and he'd be ok

So Genius just use the tranny you have now

·
8,978 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
So maybe if he wanted to use the 4.6 4r70w he would need to keep his starter housing and he'd be ok

So Genius just use the tranny you have now
no. the 4.6 4r70w has 8 bolts. the 3.8 4r70w has 6.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
well he's putting a 5.0 not a 4.6 right? Not quite sure how many bolts the 5.0 has.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It doesent really matter if the 4r70w will bolt to 5.0 or not he will not be able to use it 5.0 is OBD I the puter will not support the tranny. the AOD is not controlled by the puter the 4r70w is Controlled by the puter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts