TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching but I haven't found any answers to this question. The 90 degree elbow that fits into the driver's side valve cover's breather does anyone have a clue of a part number or something I can use to replace it. As of now I have a piece of rubber tubing jammed into the hole but I'm sure its not air tight and is letting in on unmetered air.

The Story behind it

Last night I was finishing up replacing my plugs and wires and the final step has just attaching the breather piping to the intake tube. As I'm pushing the the piping in a hear a crack coming from the elbow and notice it is not tight at all. The elbow pretty much just came right out with not much force at all and the best part was one of the four prongs that snaps it into place is missing. There of course is only one place it could be in the driver's side head lucky me.

After I finished cursing for 5 mins I run to the parts store pick up some valve cover gaskets and heads come. Before I really get into taking off the valve cover I give it one last try and stick my pinky in breather hole as it is the only digit I have that will fit and fell around. Well lucky me I fell something and it gets stuck to my finger I gently pull it out and voilà out comes the little broken tab of plastic in its entirety.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The parts catalogue shows the item separately, then has a note saying that it is only sold with the rocker cover. Hopefully someone else has come up with something that will work as a substitute. I was just looking in the workshop manual as well, but the illustration there must be a generic one for a 4.6, it shows the elbow being on the end of the hose, going to a straight fitting out of the rocker cover.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
I was looking at that part while taping it off to paint the valve covers; it doesn't look remotely removable, the inside is covered as well. The inside plate looks like the epoxy/pin type connection that breaks off if you dink with it. :)

JB weld comes to mind; you'd have to be really careful not to block the port with JB weld before it sets up.

I'm way too cheap to buy a new plastic valve cover over something like that; I'd thread it for a NPT to hose barb first, lol. :)

I'd love to see a set in chromed aluminum that was affordable, tho ...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. My girl friends father's has a good buddy that been in charge of the parts counter in a Ford dealership for a million years so I'll give him a try too.

I did try a PCV elbow but it was a no go, not enough give to snap into place. Though I might be able to use a rubber grommet and go with a smaller diameter elbow or rubber hose to make a tighter seal. Hopefully I figure something out. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts