TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The broken odometer is a lot more of a concern, this old girl could have 300 thousand miles

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I don’t assume this is anyway to know how many miles the old girl really has on her is their

·
Super Moderator
12,902 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The window that spins but does nothing needs new plastic pegs inside the motor. I've gotten them at Advance before. There should be a sticky somewhere on here. It is a tedious, but straightforward job. It's worth rebuilding both sides.

The one that goes down 3", I would start with spraying the vertical rubber track with liberal amounts of silicone spray and working the window up and down. I'm talking about actual silicone spray, not WD-40. Honda brand is supposed to be really good.

And while I admire your energy, I couldn't bring myself to work on windows until the car is running.

Hopefully you addressed the stale gas issue. The gas they sell today starts to gum up after 2 months. After 18 months, it could be bad enough to keep the car from running. Though I am sure there is a reason it was parked 18 months ago. Seafoam in the tank will dissolve the varnish, plus add a few gallons of fresh gas.

Al
about the window not going up or down. i have a cheep fix, that does the trick. i have done this on mine. and it holds up for a long time. take the snap-ring off, so you can take the geer off the window motor. clean out all the pieces. then mix up some JB weld.fill it not quite all the way full. put the geer down into it. then make it is full of JB weld. put the snap ring back. and let it set over night to set up. then put it back together. and problem solved. i have two birds. and thats how i fix them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I’ve got to deal with both motors, but my passenger, regulator is missing all together, The window is held in place with boards, and the driver side the regulator has a bad place that just completely stops it at the 3 inch point, So I guess I’m going to be looking for some regulators allso

And I won’t make another trip to harbor freight. And leave without a miti vac I promise you that

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
If you care, that dent can be knocked out with your fist.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok guys I’ve driven this old girl to work the last 2 days, I still got a little miss, I think I’ll have to got through a few fuel filters. To really get her running great, Next on the list is the windows. And getting a set of tires. Thankyou everyone for all the help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok fellows. Today I took on the windows, glad to report that the passengers side is working like new, The drivers side has 2 dead spots, If u push the window past those areas it does fine, but it will stop at the next, but both motors are fixed and spinning good

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You need the plastic pegs then. Just the pegs are only around $7 or so, you shouldn't need the gear.

Also get some good silicone spray to keep them working well. My mechanic raves about the spray from the Honda dealer.

Spray it all in the vertical rubber track with the window down, then run the window up and down several times, spraying more as you go. The window rubs on the rubber strip and needs a little lubricant - especially if it hasn't been used in a while.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,649 Posts
I don’t assume this is anyway to know how many miles the old girl really has on her is their
Do you have any maintenance history of the car? Either paper records or info from a Carfax or similar? In my case on my old 93 Mark VIII (like 8 years ago), which had an odometer that stopped at 110,000... I had the mileage and tire type of the last 4-tire change, of which the two rears were still on the car. Given their remaining tread and the treadlife warranty them, I was able to estimate how many miles were put on the car since they were installed. From that I was able to get a ballpark estimate of the actual mileage (it was closer to 140,000 using that method).

If you don't have the date the tires were installed, you can use the tire production date code to estimate their installation time, if you have an actual odometer reading close to that time too. This would be much less accurate an estimate though, because tires can sit on the shelf for years after they're produced sometimes...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I just don’t have a starting point with the miles, mAybe it’s best I don’t know kinda like asking a girl how many was before you, Today. I did get working on the paint. I wet sanded and buffed, and buffed, and buffed I’m getting way to old for this, but she really looks better

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You could do a Carfax to at least find when the miles stopped counting, and extrapolate from there. There should be mileage reports for most vehicle inspections, registrations, etc.

Al

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I am so close to having this old girl right, I’ve just got a bit of shake and stutter at 1900 rpm’s. I’m guessing fuel filter, or injectors, It really only does it when I try to ease through 1900

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,649 Posts
In all gears? Maybe torque converter shudder?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts