TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 4.6L T-Bird LX with the Sport Option suspension package (upgraded suspension components and wheels). I am under the impression that the front struts are different from the standard T-Bird struts. I had them replaced about a year ago at the dealer, along with the rear shocks, but it seems that both front and rear were different from the OEM Sport Option parts.

I replaced the rears with the Bilsteins (94 Mustang Cobra shocks were an exact fit), but now I am experiencing some softness in the front struts - kind of a porpoising motion on undulating roads.

Can somebody clarify for me what front struts (Ford part# would be great) should be installed with the Sport Option package, and if they are still available? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
551 Posts
If youre lucky you can find an NOS set on ebay, but Ive only seen one set like that in 2 years. I know you can have your shocks rebuilt, a hydraulic shop does it near me. Maybe you could do that.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
Where is the hydraulic shop that rebuilds shocks? I have a set of konis that are leaking that have been sitting for years because I don’t know who can rebuild them.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Where is the hydraulic shop that rebuilds shocks? I have a set of konis that are leaking that have been sitting for years because I don’t know who can rebuild them.
A bunch of people rebuild Koni; there's a local shop here in Rockwood, last time I looked.

It's as expensive as a new one, if you could buy a new one. :(

Also, if one particular "sintered powdered metal" piece is bad, the shock is done; lack of that part was why they stopped production, and they weren't going to make more unless we bought 50 sets, as of the last time DLF and I looked into it, several years ago.

I'm guessing that's the actual valve in the shock, so...

To the OP: the only front shocks (yes, they're shocks, one bolt on each end; struts have two at one end) that will match the rears are also Bilsteins.

Read the whole thread, there are specific, custom parts that are not generally available.

This is where we are:

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspension/178561-s4gunns-tbird-front-suspension-options-summary-bilstein-insert-diy.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If youre lucky you can find an NOS set on ebay, but Ive only seen one set like that in 2 years. I know you can have your shocks rebuilt, a hydraulic shop does it near me. Maybe you could do that.

By any chance, do you have the NOS part number for the Sport Option front shocks? I can only find the part number for the replacement (softer) shocks which the dealer used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If you search you can find the NOS front shock part number. Doubt you will ever find a set though. I lucked out and a member here sold a NOS set of rears to me.

If it helps 931845 is the part number for the Monroe Reflex front shocks. They are similar performance to OEM sport shocks. I was able to find a pair a few years ago, the Cougar is getting them installed this winter. It wont be easy to find those anymore either though.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Mikey, I'm sorry for the nonanswer to your question.

I got distracted, and forgot to give you a link.

Here's a shop in ohio; if you search Koni's site, I'm betting there's probably someone closer to you.

Truechoice Koni Racing Services

Sorry about that. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the part number for the Monroe Reflex shocks, Kenz. Do you know if it requires modification, or if it will fit as-is?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
The Monroe Reflex are a direct replacement. From what I know they were more of a performance shock then their other offerings. They were discontinued before I was into MN12's.

Just be careful if you try to track them down. I tried to buy a couple sets from sellers, and either get an email saying they didn't have them, or they would try and substitute Sensatracks instead.

I ended up finding my NOS set on Ebay, the auction had pictures and showed they were actually the correct ones.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Those shocks feel great in the winter, but you'll want something better by summer. :)

I kept them about two years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts