·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts
I used to watch those auctions on TV a lot, it always made me laugh in between common muscle cars that the commentators wax over the minutia of year to mid year changes in carburator suppliers, various option codes, reciting their 1970s-80s high school era memories relating to those, when something like this comes on the block they all turn into flailing fishes out of water “ummm.... it has a 4.6l engine, it’s... red, a pretty red, uhh.... no reserve, should be a good deal for someone”

I actually met I think John Kraman at a Bloomington Corvette show when it was held in my area and he was super cool, so not a diss on those guys (I like watching Mecum way more than barret jackson for commentary) just fun to watch those moments. First day of the televised episodes usually are the days that feature these kinds of cars.

Cougar looks great other than the aftermarket wheel lips, ugh.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget "the same engine as the Mustang" line they will use, and it being a "sleeper", lol! Someone may get a really good deal on that car, looks like it spent it's life indoors.

This is a long auction, started last Friday and runs thru this Saturday, but does include a lot of motorcycles and memorabilia. The first auction of the year AFAIK, and also the NHRA Indy drag race was the first of the year. So there is some progress on that front. Hockey and baseball also start up in a couple weeks.

Al

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
One thing I note is that mileage isn't stated. Looking at the picture of the cluster, I think I can make out 54,251 on the cluster?

Some of the D-Bags on the FB TCCOA page would be like, "$5k for that thing?!" and laugh at anyone who thinks that. I mean most of these cars won't fetch that, sure. But why couldn't a clean example like this one?

There was one from Canada posted a day or two ago asking for $40k CAD / $28k USD and it had 14k KMS. That one, yea. That's a bit over priced even if it were a super clean example.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It mentions 54k miles in the literature. What's wrong with $5-7k for it? The FB guys must all have hoopties.

I think these cars are finally separating from the pack, with guys on here noting the sudden positive comments about the cars (including me). They are finally old enough, and keep looking less and less like the "reptile" cars of today. Let's face it, 75% of today's cars are ugly, starting to rival the 70's and 80's cars for ugliness. They see an MN-12 and think "that's a pretty good looking car, what kind is it?".

I think that the pristine examples we've seen (and laughed at) people asking $9-10k for on E-bay - that price point will become reality over the next few years for the real nice ones.

Al

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 96 or 97, because I like the older ones, but If I didn't have sentimental value in mine, this is WAY cheaper than restoring a car. Those FB warriors think anything over $1000 is to much because they got nice examples for that. I'm assuming my "nice" and theirs differs greatly.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yes.

I could go through the pictures posted there and paste 97.5% of them in the ghetto thread here.
I thought you weren't on FB? 🤔

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Those FB warriors think anything over $1000 is to much because they got nice examples for that. I'm assuming my "nice" and theirs differs greatly.
Yes.

I could go through the pictures posted there and paste 97.5% of them in the ghetto thread here.
Seems to be the case with any group for old cars though. If anything, I would say the TCCoA Facebook group isn't as bad with that mentality as some others I've seen. I also don't see as many people on there posting mediocre condition car pics just for likes either.

I can't speak for anyone else on Facebook and not everyone can be painted with the same brush, but there's a reason why the ones with nice cars in the group generally don't talk about value.

Below a certain threshold, whether it be a specific part or an entire car, it's all the same to me. I don't own one of these cars because I can't afford something worth more. Hypothetically, I wouldn't care about being "ripped off" so much as I got what I wanted, and in the case of any premade one-off items, also prevented someone else from getting it over me.

Sure, some sellers clearly ask for too much, but if I'm not planning to buy something regardless of its price, what do I care? I commented on one of those threads a few years ago and I regretted it.

·
Super Moderator
17,617 Posts
My problem with Facebook has a lot more to do with Facebook the social media entity than the people within the TCCoA section if I’m being honest, so that’s said partly in jest.

Value/investment is something I have no interest in with the car hobby, I don’t particularly like that I’m priced way out of a lot of classics that I dreamed of having as a kid, even the fixer uppers, but it also broadened my horizons to discover great affordable cars like the MN12s to indulge in. I’m very pragmatic about value, and $5-7k for that Cougar seems very fair when you consider how much it costs to properly repaint the average $1,000 example in laser red that needs it. That’s been my thing with all these discussions, nice examples are and should be more expensive to buy that average to poor ones, and truthfully their prices haven’t really changed much in the last decade.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
I thought you weren't on FB? 🤔
I'm not on it either, but I snoop on my wife's account. Unfortunately, she's not on the TCCoA Facebook page! :oops:

Joe

·
Registered
77 Posts
My problem with Facebook has a lot more to do with Facebook the social media entity than the people within the TCCoA section if I’m being honest, so that’s said partly in jest.

Value/investment is something I have no interest in with the car hobby, I don’t particularly like that I’m priced way out of a lot of classics that I dreamed of having as a kid, even the fixer uppers, but it also broadened my horizons to discover great affordable cars like the MN12s to indulge in. I’m very pragmatic about value, and $5-7k for that Cougar seems very fair when you consider how much it costs to properly repaint the average $1,000 example in laser red that needs it. That’s been my thing with all these discussions, nice examples are and should be more expensive to buy that average to poor ones, and truthfully their prices haven’t really changed much in the last decade.
That's a great point. People seem to forget or ignore things like paint. A car with peeling clearcoat racing stripes on the roof and hood is not the same as a car that's been kept out of the sun for two decades, regardless of mechanical condition. Even a car with spiderwebbed-but-easily-correctable-by-a-detailer clearcoat is not the same as one that is pristine.

I haven't been following any for sale and car value discussions in TCCoA Facebook very closely, so I don't even know if someone there is trying to argue about value right now. However, one person's "it's not a big deal and shouldn't affect the value that much" is an appraiser's "you tanked the value of whatever you were trying to sell" which is why a car that's as close to original factory, off-the-assembly-line condition as possible is worth more.

On one hand, you have a car with a usage history and most people are nobodies, so it's not like you can even add a celebrity tax to the sale. On the other is both a car and a preserved historical artifact. People put a lot of value on history. It's why the Corvettes that got trashed and weren't repairable (all but three) from that museum sinkhole a few years ago are still valuable, even if they're not as cars.

But yeah, Facebook is full of dumpster divers as well as opportunists who are trying to peddle what they think is literal gold.

·
Super Moderator
17,617 Posts
I’m not active there to know, I’m just going by the quotes and dredging past discussions on the subject.

Modified cars are kind of a weird thing with values, I don’t think it’s quite as clear cut as modified = worthless, untouched = $$$$$, it really depends on the car, miles on the chassis, what the modifications are if there are any and how well they were done. I agree that there’s not celebrity builder aura in most builds but a base inline 6 1969 Mustang fastback probably won’t have its value negatively impacted by having a 408 stroker swapped into it, whereas a more coveted Mach 1 probably would.

Right now I think low miles trumps all with regard to MN12 values, but that’s a finite and difficult quality to maintain unless you don’t drive it, and is pretty irrelevant to most of us in the club should we be concerned with cashing out on our “investments” 😆. So, ponder this choice, 100K mile V8 LXs or XR7s, equal as far as body and interior condition and maintained, would you pay more for one that’s stone stock, or one that has a PI engine swap, J modded newer trans, Tokico shocks and PBRs/rear disc swap? Appraisers might scoff at the latter but I bet they’ve not evaluated the market the cars appeal to.

There’s always been some modicum of accepted liberties In the collector car market, dual circuit brakes, alternator retrofits, smog device deletions, blueprinted overbored higher compression engines within the “numbers matching“ blocks, radial tires, adding an option like a spoiler substituting an option like using dog dish caps rather than the original styled wheel covers etc. All this and the examples I used pertaining to us is a far cry flame paint jobs and hydraulics that are much more about personal taste

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not commenting on any more of those posts. Not worth my time to try to educate those who don't want the knowledge.

And certainly some mods if done will can bring a bit of a premium, but almost never enough to justify don't them for a sale. But I think we're (most on the site somewhat regularly) building to enjoy driving with little care about resale.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
building to enjoy driving with little care about resale.
This.

If we sell, it's because we have to for one reason or another; life happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
But I think we're (most on the site somewhat regularly) building to enjoy driving with little care about resale.
I sure am!

RwP

Reactions: Zep5.0
1 - 20 of 22 Posts