TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f and I bought a 96 cougar about 4months ago, the guy we bought it from wasnt the orig. owner(he works for a dealer) so neither of us know anything bout maintance on this beast, i already have changed the oil, but the car has 100500miles, should i do a tranny flush or just a fluid/filter change?? sparkplugs & wires, are they simple to do?? i use to have a 96 but mine was a 4.6L and the plugs were different. well actually not by much, but any advice?? how well are the trannys on the 3.8?? i know my sucked!! at 53k i had to have it rebuilt! POS.
anyways!! any help would be great!!! :confused:

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
If it gives peace of mind, I'd say go ahead and do a complete fluid change/tune-up, especially if there's no service records available. My 2¢ worth: if it were me, I'd change all the fluids.

Regarding the plugs and wires: From what I read in the 1996 Service Manual, changing plugs and wires is rather straightforward - just do one at a time. Make sure you use dielectric grease on the inside of the boot so the new wires don't stick on the new plugs. Put some antisieze compound on the threads for the plugs, also.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd change plugs/wires (I prefer Napa Lifetimes myslef), change tranny fluid and filter (most likely no one has ever done it), time for the Diff. fluid.

The passengers side is a pain, and I'd loom all the wires from end to end.
As for the tranny mine out lasted the engine now has 120k and only now starting to give me worries (I being the 5th owner of it, the 1st was a rental car company).

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
with a swivel all the plugs are a sinch. Takes me 10 minutes to change them.

·
8,978 Posts
It's about 1" long, has a female end and a male end, and a swivel joint between the two. Your ratchet goes into one end, and your socket on the other. That way you can turn the socket anywhere from 0*-90* from the ratchet and still turn a bolt. Very handy for tight spaces.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i call em u-joints, because thats what they are. and id imagine that with deleted AC, its real freakin easy.

·
8,978 Posts
brokenmachines_e2 said:
i call em u-joints, because thats what they are. and id imagine that with deleted AC, its real freakin easy.
Well the #1 cylinder is a lot easier without the ac compressor in the way, and #2 is easier without the AC dryer by the firewall. #3 is still close to the side wall so the swivel rocks for that one and #4-5-6 too.
-Thomas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts