TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Thunderbird with a 2004 Crown Vic engine. Im having problems with idling, the car has been dyno tuned but it still stalls sometimes in reverse and sometimes in drive and it idles up and down. Ive changed the idle air control vavle 3 times and still does it. But im using a 1996 valve should i get a 1999 Mustang GT valve? Im using a the Thunderbird injection system but the Mustang has the same connections but the internals are different. I dont know what to do i doont have any vaccum leaks or anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
assuming you're correct about no vacuum leaks, then you likely have the throttle body open too far. let's see a pic of the throttle stop screw and the throttle blade while it is closed.

BTW, there is no need to use any different model year IAC. The pcm has a transfer table that corresponds to a stock '96 IAC. Assuming that your tuner did not mess with this table and only the ISC tables, there is no need to start swapping IACs (unless you told him to tune it for some other IAC for whatever reason). Have you talked to your tuner about this issue? Anything else you're not telling us?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked over everything. And I heard that if my air temperature sensor isn't it the intake tube it could cause idle problems is that true? Mine is next to the mass air on the fender.

·
Registered
96 Posts
still sounds like a maf ISSUE TO ME. I HAD A 5.0 that did the same thing, i pulled every code, replaced every part that a code showed up on, and still same problem. i took it to the FORD dealer, and they put it on their scanner. they kept telling me it was, this, and that. and i would show them the new part that i had already installed that correlated to their scan. an older mechanic walked by, and said.. bad MAF sensor huh. me and the younger mechanic, said nope, it is not showing on the scan. the old fella, said, "hmmm" walked in the back, came back out, mostquicklike, plugged in the new MAF.. oingo boing, it ran like a charm until the day i sold it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ya know, i had sort of the same issue with my 95, and it also turned out to be the MAF. it would stall out when changing gears every now and then, but not all the time. it also ran down on power, but i thought that was the old alum intake.

i unplugged the thing and drove it around on the defaults and the problems went away. and that was a parts store MAF... i tried an A1 reman, 100% new A1, and then i just went to ford and got a good one. no trouble since, but i clean it every time i clean my K&N.

worth a shot, but with a PI and a custom tune, theirs a lot of variables here that could be the culprit. GM has a point, i usually start with the stuff i (or someone else) have played with before i look for bad parts. especially if this started after those things were played with. if its been running fine for a long time since the tune... then yeah, i would go MAF. or even the regular tune up items if its been a while. spark plugs, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts