TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the latest recommendation is to replace the rear shocks on my 1996 TB 4.6? I'm looking at a KYB #344110 that I can get cheap at O'R - since I work there PT.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
How cheap is cheap?

Rockauto sells the KYBs for $21.xx but other folks have complained that they are too soft.
For OE quality, motorcraft shocks are only $24 on rockauto (before coupon + shipping). I recall snapping up two on closeout at only $10.77/ea.
Cheapest are Monroe Matics at $13.81/ea
Don't forget the 5% off Rockauto coupon

1994 FORD THUNDERBIRD 4.6L V8 Shock Absorber | RockAuto

If you want performance, the Bilstein shocks for a 99-04 Cobra convertible are the way to go but they are more like $130/ea.

http://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspension/105250-cobra-bilstein-rear-shock-info.html

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I have Monroe SensaTrac on my 96 tbird all around. They have a nice ride for a daily driver, not really stiff but not too soft either.

I put new stock non-sport motorcrafts on the back of my Cougar and they seemed too soft, but it had worn out sport shocks before so IDK... I put new sport shocks on the back of it and they are great; good luck find those anymore, they haven't been made in a long time.

Have heard okay things about KYBs on this forum. The Tokyo blue are still around if you want sporty. They will cost quite a bit compared to KYB or Monroe.

Oh and depending on if your 96 is a sport or not will make a big difference for what you should get. The spring rates are different. My Cougar is a sport and rides a lot different than my tbird.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Sport Springs are pretty hard on most shocks; the Tokico's seem to be the stiffest, and last the longest.

Gabriel made a shock a few years back that were really good; I can't remember which series.

They're now the holders for my Koni inserts, lol. I wish those were still available.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get the KYB Excel-Gs (#344110) for $25 at OR. Anyone have any experience with these KYB shocks. I would like to receive any feed back.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah I have those KYBs and I'm not happy with em at all. I have them on H&R 1.5 drop springs and they are no stiffer then Monroe Sensa Tracs. They are a good OEM riding shock but if you want cornering performance look elsewhere.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have these on mine right now:

Gabriel Ultra Shocks

They are inexpensive and yet well reviewed. I read up on the KYB Excel shocks and couldn't find anything positive about them. I've heard the Monroe Sensatraks are too mushy, but couldn't tell you from experience.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
KYB's are fine for a daily driver, stock suspension-type ride. If you are interested in a stiffer, performance-oriented ride, you want the Bilsteins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts