TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Tbird I picked up 3 years ago, have put 40k on it, now at 122k. Has always ran well, taken care of as needed or for preventative maint.
One thing it has done the last two years when it is cold out, say 35 or lower, when we go to start it, it will not start up right away, it will stumble then just turn stumble over. Try again, same thing, then about third try it will start up and run but stumble and rough for a bit, say a min or so. If you goose it a little it will clear out and run fine. May not do it again for weeks, month, or rest of winter. I keep the air filter changed, have ran FI cleaner time to time, cleaned TB.
I never get a check light for it. Soooo not sure what the deal is.
We just got our first cold snap and it did it today on the wife. As I said before it may not do it again but if it does it is cause it has sat for days. Typically it is a daily driver.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the IAC on the TB somewhere I assume, what does it look like?
Where is the EGR?

·
Super Moderator
9,135 Posts
The IAC is on the front of the throttle body; it has a hose running into it off the main air tube.

EGR is on the driver side of the throttle body, it has the large diaphragm.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
wouldn't either of these units throw a CEL if acting up?
no because the pcm is programmed to accept some level of deviation....reason is, there is no perfect sensor/actuator.....there has to be a "tolerance-level" for everything....once a sensor/actuator is functioning outside the boundaries of what ford engineers deem "acceptable", then that is when the code is thrown

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could be an injector, as you described that when you goose the throttle it gets better. I would say a MAF sensor because that what happened to my 95 Cougar, but you not getting any codes. Like those guys said, probably an EGR valve. If it isn't look at the injectors, as fuel problems wouldnt throw codes to the computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts