TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I have a 1996 Thunderbird. 4.6. 4 Wheel Disc Brakes. ABS. No Traction Control.

My brake lines are all in bad condition. I will be replacing them all with braided stainless lines. I found all of the connections that I need to connect them at the calipers. However, it seems as though there are a lot of different proportioning valve setups over the years and not a lot of information available. Below is a picture of mine. It looks like the lines from the master cylinder go in through the bottom, then the 4 lines come out through the top. My question is what kind of fitting is on the "out" side of the proportioning valve? Any suggestion on what to use to change to -3 AN fittings? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,969 Posts
Are you saying you want to replace the hard lines all the way to the proportioning valve?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hard lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve are good. I’m leaving them as is. I’m replacing the lines from the proportioning valve to each caliper. Those 4 fittings in the picture go to each caliper. I’m changing them to Russell Powerflex lines.

·
Super Moderator
7,843 Posts
That’s not a proportioning valve, that is the ABS unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a proportioning valve and ABS unit or just the ABS? Should I run the new lines from the ABS unit to each caliper? Any idea what kind of fitting that is? I have an M10-1.0 bubble flare coupler that threads on, but I don’t know if it’s the right fitting. I don’t want to overtighten it and ruin something. I know this is a lot of questions. I appreciate any help.

·
Super Moderator
7,843 Posts
There should be 2 proportioning valves. They are right next to each other in the back of the LF wheel well, behind the splash shield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts