TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting a lot of thought into this the past few weeks and I've decided to sell my Thunderbird. It's a 1996 Sport with, as far as I can tell, every factory option. This car is truly in unbelievable condition. I say near mint because I don't want to be misleading in any way & it does have a couple of minor issues that I'll detail below. I posted previously how I just don't use & enjoy the car like I thought I would and it's a shame that it just sits unused. In addition to that I was renting a garage locally but the guy passed away & the family sold the row of garages. So now I have to store it in my one car garage at home.

I purchased it with about 57,800 miles & it currently has 59,266 miles. I'll do my best to give the history of the car.

I purchased it from an older couple in Pennsylvania in July 2017. They had purchased it from the original owner back in 1998 and they used it as a weekend cruiser. These people had 7 vehicles so I had no reason to doubt them. Just to clarify, the Carfax report at the time I purchased it showed 3 previous owners but what happened is the couple I purchased it from re-registered in 2012 as a Classic Car with new license plates & that showed up as a new owner. So a Carfax would now show me as the 4th owner but I am actually the third owner.

There is no rust on this car and other than a few small dings on the front bumper the paint is in unbelievable condition. I've only had it two years & other than driving it in the rain the day I purchased it, I've never had it out in bad weather. The only time it even got wet was whenever I washed it.

The only known issues are:
1: The doors sag a little which I guess should be expected with these cars
2: The power seat works sporadically and it this point it does not work much more often then it does. It will always go up & down but forward & back is likely not going to work when attempted. I'm 6'4" so the seat is currently all the way back. I never took the time to try to fix it because no one else drives the car anyway except for myself.
3: The CD player works however it doesn't like to eject the CD's. If you put a CD in you might not get it back :smile2:

I'm only going to post it here on TCCOA.

Price $5,000 Firm

I know these cars are nothing special but I feel like the price is fair considering the condition. My real hope is to sell it before winter because I'll be taking the plates off of it toward the end of October for the winter. I know that's unlikely to happen and if takes a year or more to sell it then I'm fine with that. It's late now and I literally just made the final decision to actually sell it so the pictures I'm posting right now are pictures from the previous owner back in 2017. I'll get some updated pictures tomorrow and post them.

When I purchased the car in July 2017 I paid for Carchex inspection and the inspector said the car drove like new. They also provided a Carfax report that I will try to upload also. The report is obviously 2 years old but it's something that may help anyone interested.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pictures that I took today. I did the best I could with the undercarriage shots. I loaned my ramps to a friend a few weeks ago and I didn't have any way to raise the car up. I purchased some grey front floor mats from someone on this site a few months ago so that I could preserve the original green mats. So that's why the mats don't match. The original mats are in the trunk. There are a few dings on the bumper on the driver side that I tried to capture. I did a clay bar treatment on the car back in the spring & this paint is unbelievable shiny & smooth.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,997 Posts
Nice clean car, good luck with the sale. :)

Where in Upstate New York are you?

Joe

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Beautiful, love the green interior! I noticed the tachometer has a strip redline, my 96s both have a solid, wonder why the difference?

Wish I was in the market to buy one! If I had the room I'd be all over it. Good luck with the sale

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It is loaded! GLWS.

Al

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't expect a quick sale by any means but I thought there might be some interest. Is the price out of line or is there just really no interest in these cars anymore? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We seem to have similar stories. Back in 2013 I was searching for a clean Bird based on a previously owned 1995 that had seen better days before I bought it. Due to many mechanical issues, I wound up selling it.

In December 2013 I found what looked like the one for me up in Virginia. No short haul for me as I'm in South Carolina, but after much soul searching I finally drove up to look at it and bought it. Pearl white with gray cloth interior. So clean inside and out that it blew my mind. Since then I have only put 7k miles on it, and outside of the stereo and speakers it's still bone stock. So I can certainly feel where you're coming from in your past experience with Thunderbirds, and the protracted search for the one that had your name on it.

I do believe the interest in these cars is dwindling. Even here in this club, the number of new posts, and the number of people making those posts seems to be less and less each year. The fact that insurance companies will total these cars for even minor damage now that their value has decreased scares a lot of people off I think, and so many more people now only look at the technology a car has and completely dismiss the character a car may have.

You have a beautiful, rare color combo, and very clean Thunderbird with as you said, it seems, every available option. If you don't change your mind and decide to keep it, then I hope you will find a good home for it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
I don’t think the price is unreasonable given the condition and mileage of the car, but it is definitely going to take a while to find the right buyer. You are also not likely to find a buyer for something like this right before winter, since that basically means they will have to store it all winter, and the price will likely be the same in April, so don’t expect a lot of interest in October or November. Personally, I find the green interior to be a real turn-off, but I don’t know how others feel about it. Another problem is that only the real die-hards still frequent these boards, and those of us that can afford to drop $5k on a tbird likely already have done so on fixing up the ones we have, so oddly enough you might have better luck posting the car on other boards or on things like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. I have honestly sold more tbirds on Mustang forums over the years than on here, since everyone on here already has one. In the meantime, start using the damn car! I hate that excuse for selling a car. If you don’t like it, say you don’t like it, but if you do like it, and it runs and drives, there is absolutely no reason you can’t take it to work one day a week, or take it to get breakfast Sunday morning, or something. Hell, take the car for a ride right now!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I didn't expect a quick sale by any means but I thought there might be some interest. Is the price out of line or is there just really no interest in these cars anymore? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.
The primary issue is that most of us here already have our beloved cars, they're either in perfect running condition or on their way there, and we don't quite need another near perfect one in the roost.

If I was looking, I'd consider flying out to buy it. May haggle with you a bit on price, but I'm not in need of another Thunderbird till I get mine back on the road. :D

She is beautiful though. GLWS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have almost the exact same car.

I have almost the exact same car as well. 1996 4.6L Sport – White Opalescent Clearcoat/Medium Graphite interior. Loaded – I know, because I'm the original owner and ordered it from the factory. The only option I didn't get was the engine block heater, being in SoCal. I've been looking to find a good home for mine as well. I checked with the local T-Bird club (Thunderbirds of Southern California), and nobody's interested. I have 139,000 miles on the car and it still looks like new. The only change is a Apple CarPlay-capable stereo.

I'm looking to move on, because it is getting harder to find parts. I have the non-Sport shocks in the front (too soft), since the Sport shocks or any reasonable replacement can't be found anymore. I replaced the rear shocks with the Bilsteins, which are equivalent to the Sport shocks. Edmunds valuation for my car in outstanding condition is $800 (trade-in) to $1400 (private sale), Kelly Blue Book is $384 (trade-in) to $2288 (private sale) for excellent condition. Pretty much not worth selling at those prices.

The only 'Birds that have any value nowadays is the '55 - '66 and the 2002-2005 years. Vintage T-Bird parts sellers only seem to cover up to the 1966 model year.

It's a shame, since the MN12's have a graceful look that has aged well. I get a lot of compliments on the car, but it's all about SUVs and crossovers when it comes to buying.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Having been looking for a nice 'bird for a while and recently buying a '96, I'd say your price is reasonable for condition and mileage. Mine is less loaded then yours and paint is not as good (lots of sun fade) but only has 30k miles on it. I only paid $3200 for the car but it cost me a lot to ship it from SoCal to NH, so price wise, almost exactly what you're asking.

It's too bad you find yourself not driving it much, she's a beauty! I think as long as you're not in a big rush to sell, you won't have a problem finding a buyer for it. As others mentioned, this time of year is a tough sell for it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for the replies. Again, I know people say this all the time but I don't even care if doesn't sell. I was genuinely just curious because I thought there would be some interest. I definitely did not expect a quick sale. We'll see what happens. I'll be taking the plates off it for the winter in the next week or two so I'll wait & see if there is any interest in the spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts