TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Thunderbird, 214000 miles

During my last oil change, I realized I was missing a plastic part from underneath the car. It is the black piece that goes underneath the radiator, the one I have to pull off to get to the oil filter. I'm sure it fell off on the road somewhere, probably from re-using the plastic push-pins.

I still have the larger black piece that attaches to the bumper cover; I think it's called the valance?. First of all, what are the proper terms for these parts? Valance, dam, deflector, shield, plate...? Secondly, is the part I'm missing required for proper cooling or anything?

The local salvage yard didn't have any, so I'm trying to determine if this is worth pursuing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They are very hard to find and they do contribute to the cooling from what I've read on this site. I've seen people add air deflectors from a Ford Ranger but I'm not sure if that replaced the need for the cover or not. I'm sure I could use something along those lines to get my cooling to work better.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
I've got a spare off the parts car... ;)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
17626... that comes up as "valance panel". Okay, that's the one that I do have. Not sure what to call the one under the radiator, though. It's rendering my Google-fu skills absolutely useless.

Brandon, I'm interested. PM sent.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot about that thread, and I even posted in it! LOL

"(lower) Radiator Air Deflector", (1996-1997 only)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I still have mine, but haven't reinstalled it since I did my PI intake job (and related cooling system backflush).

I haven't noticed my temp gauge reading any different than when I religiously kept the plate on the car.
As long as my a/c stays on, my temp stays well below "norm" -- the fan runs on low speed with the a/c compressor running, to help keep the condenser from overheating and to prevent a hot condenser from adding heat to the coolant in the radiator.
When the a/c isn't running, my gauge reads norm then the fan high speed kicks on. I have yet to run hot w/o this plate on the vehicle.

IMHO from my own observations, this part is more valuable as a debris shield/guard than anything else.

Nevertheless, I plan to put mine back on after my next oil change, because why just let it sit there in the garage serving no purpose at all? :)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to Brandon for the spare!

If anyone's wondering, the part number stamped on the deflector is F6SB-8B407-AB. The valance that goes between this and the bumper cover is F6SX-17D997-AA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts