TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am going to try & change the clutch setup on my 1997 4.6 Bird.
Any suggestions? special tools? anything else I should know? where can I find a new clutch for the best price? Thanks!

·
5,650 Posts
It's going to be difficult to change the clutch without removing the compressor. The clutch and pulley will come right off, but the field coil is pressed onto the compressor and requires a special puller and installer for the new one. With the location of the compressor on the 4.6L, there's not a lot of room to work with in front of the compressor. You also need snap ring pliers. RockAuto will probably have a clutch for a good price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, THANKS!! I wonder if it would be advisable to just replace the whole compressor with a reman. unit that would include a new clutch?? I've seen them on Ebay at good prices?? it would seem a shame to remove the old original compressor and just change the clutch on the bench & re-install it???

·
5,650 Posts
You could do that, but if there's nothing wrong with the compressor it's a waste of money. Plus, when you replace the compressor it's highly advised to replace the orifice tube and accumulator, so there will be additional costs incurred. I'm sure you could get just the clutch replaced at a shop for a much more reasonable price than doing all the additional work.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have never tried to replace a Tbird clutch in place. I dd it on my Mazda RX-7. Most remans should have a new clutch. You could remove it and bring it down to Automotive Air
1045 KING ST
COCOA, FL 32922
Phone: (321) 636-0403
They do good work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the replies and suggestions so far guys!!
I really need to do something to get my a/c up and running even though its basicly winter now.
Dusty:I've delt with automotive air in cocoa some years back-seem to remember a fellow named "Ted"?? who was the owner-I had lots of a/c work done there, and a complete system installed in a brand new no frills 1988 Ranger as well.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I did my A/c Clutch in the car....super easy. Just remove the bolt, slide out the clutch hub, remove the snap ring and remove the pulley/bearing assembly. Seems like I beat the old coil off with a hammer and back on with a wood block and hammer. No more noisy pulley.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The do make pullers for the clutches which would save the hammer part. You might be able to get one from the Autozone loan a tool program. I used one on my RX-7 and was able to do it on the car by removing the battery. Since it has R12 I did not want to discharge the system.

Is there room to pull the clutch on the MN12 while it is on the car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts