TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My old bird with 202,000 miles plus still runs strong,but the cel comes on every other day with left bank and right bank lean codes. I have about 30k miles on my PI intake manifold using the pi gaskets. I also have a never been re-oiled cotton-gauze filter in an opened stock box ( no silencer) with about 70k (it still looks clean). The C&L maf body has about 50k miles of trouble-free use. The plugs are platinums, only a year old. Do you think it's just a dirty maf (haven't cleaned it yet)? I've erased the codes thrice,and it's back again. I do not feel any surging in any gear,but the car has begun to ping a little under moderate load,which it never did before. The fuel filter is about sixty thousand miles old now,and the last one did come out nearly plugged at the 140k point (bought the car at 122k).But,there were no codes until now. The fuel pump is still the original. Any good ideas out there? thanks, edman.

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
First things first, definitely clean the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick CEL follow up.

Well, after all those miles with the maf always clean, this time there was a gunky build up on the wires. A long spray of maf cleaner and it was as good as new again. The results are : the cel has been off for a thousand miles now. And, the moderate pinging under load is all gone too. The engine runs as strong as ever again. If only the paint and body looked as good as the engine runs! thanks , edman-out One more thing: I'm really pleased with how the mustang manifold has held its coolant :cool:seal after all these years!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I noticed that it's been a year since you replaced the plugs. I don't know how many miles you've put on the car but I would still consider replacing the plugs or at least inspecting them. I think that could have been a contributing factor.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A dirty MAF plus the C&L housing will make a bad situation worse. The C&L housings, even when used with the sampling tube sized for stock injectors, are always off from the OEM MAF transfer function.
what's a good cleaner for the MAF sensor? i think i used the wrong type of cleaner and it damaged my MAF

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used an aerosal mass air cleaner.

For anyone that wants to clean their maf, don't use anything but a maf specific cleaner! After I did mine, I also did my daughter's, and her chronic pinging went away. Then I went out and sprayed my Z28's maf, and the cold engine stalling stopped happening. It's almost like magic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts