TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys som1 on another forum is having problems with his DD

I Got a 1997 4.6 T-bird thats is pinging in the High RPMs. I put new plugs in thinking that would help, but no real change. The car is completly stock, is there anything that can be done about this?
i will post more info as i get it

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF is a good start. A can of seafoam can help get rid of the carbon in the motor which can help cause pinging.

·
Super Moderator
9,136 Posts
I have a similar issue, all the usual culprits have been addressed. I'm convinced the cause on my car is due to mineral deposits built up in the coolant passages (the result of years of running tap water + antifreeze in the coolant system) that is causing hot spots in the combustion chambers.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I woudl have to ask what plug and gap he's running, also what gas is he running. Bosch = garbage. I run motorcraft coppers and have had NO problems. Then I would suggest teh MAF cleaning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I woudl have to ask what plug and gap he's running, also what gas is he running. Bosch = garbage. I run motorcraft coppers and have had NO problems. Then I would suggest teh MAF cleaning.
Im the guy with the problem, and I'm running Motorcraft Platinums gapped at .54

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
its never a bad idea, but unless the filter has been on there for like 4+ years, i doubt it will solve your pinging problems if the maf clean doesn't...by fuel delivery i mean a failing fuel pump or a faulty FPR or even partially clogged injectors

what is the maintenance history on your car?

·
Super Moderator
9,136 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks! Sorry I was too lazy to search myself, very much appreciate!

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks even better! Oreilly/Kragen is actually right down the street from me, and it's in stock, cool!:tongue:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Little side note here , if you decide to get a k&n air filter "which totally helps" in performance of course when its not gumming up the maf , you will become very aquainted with cleaning that maf , i have to clean my maf like every month or two .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here's my first look at my MAF sensor. Should I clean it?? Hmm...:rolleyes:

After cleaning with the CRC MAF Cleaner. What a difference!(visually, so far).

I think it's safe to say it'll probably run a little better after this!:D

Thanks dudes! I want to post on the results tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts