TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am needing the Ford part number for the transmission/HO2S harness that goes from underneath the 4R70W transmission connector, connecting the: MLPS (TRS), OSS, VSS, trans case internal harness connector, #3 and #4 HO2S partial wiring.

In addition to being totally oil soaked from the o-rings on the trans case connector failing, most of the connector latches have crumbled, a la Ford connector rot.

While I could replace every connector, it looks like it'd just be easier to replace the entire harness, despite the fact that there is a steel tit hanger on the very top of the transmission that is only 99.999% inaccessible unless you remove the shifter and use a short forked black steel baby crowbar and 3-lb sledge-let hammer to bash this steel retainer off the aluminum case tit, turning a 3-minute job into a 4-hour bad word, much sweat, and eye-filled with under-debris ordeal of how to get this abomination thing off.. uh... anyway, having had this thing off once, I mended the retainer by bending the fingers much wider so it's not a Mission Impossible to remove it again.

Next, is there one of these exceedingly un-findable, ancient, nearly 14 year old, harni (plural of harness) still available at any Ford dealership or parts warehouse?.. or is this a hunt for the wire fairy to ask of a great wish?

THANKS in advance for any help...

Just to explain.... there I was, driving my 63k mile, YOUNG, TBird LX down the street, having a fine day of it, the temperature was around 100, miles from home, enjoying the nicety of not having any HO2S CHECK ENGINE SOON codes, having just replaced my ECU for why, who knows, 40 miles from home, all well, and I slowed down rather than bomb the stale yellow traffic signal. When I soon accelerated, well, darn it, improper upshifting and the OD light is flashing.

What could be wrong???? the ATF was good, code read three 7xx transmission death codes, indicating failed OSS, failed MLPS, and internal temperature approximately the temperature of the surface of the sun...

Well, naturally, that ended the outing, and I turned toward home, at only 5 mph, it would take several hours to get home, as the trans wouldn't upshift and, well, 4000 RPM isn't good for long periods.

Anyway, much to my amazement, the trans would occasionally upshift, even to OD, so I blazed on back attaining, sometimes, the neckbreak speed of 45mph.

Replacing the MLPS did nothing, checking the harness from ECU to trans main connector pair shows continuity on all applicable circuits (yes, I have the books).

I did notice much ATF around the case connector, and having the harness out allowed me to check every wire from under-connector to various sensors, and case connector... however, that doesn't cover cross-wire shorts..

By the way, in case you ever start to buzzing out wires at the ECU connector, the EVTM manuals illustration for this connector is UPSIDE DOWN, thank you. It shows the alignment lugs on the WRONG SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR. Nice going, Ford, or whoever, Helm.... That's oh so helpful. Make note, and this applies for sure to the 1997 Purple Ford Thunderbird and Cougar EVTM manual.

So, anyone know the harness part number?

There once was a label on my harness, but it's gone, of course.

Rumor has it that it's F6SB 7C078-AE, but that's only from some ford parts website, and it doesn't mention v8 or v6 difference (if any.)

Alternatively, do any of you have a parted out car's trans harness in good shape, for sale?

TIA

k

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Wow, I wish I had read this post a few days ago when I was at the boneyard - there are a few TBirds and I could have grabbed one for you!

Next time I go, I will look if you don't get it fixed by then...

Oh, according to Alldata, the correct part number is F2VY-7G276-A and it's about $200 from Ford.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rick,

I do thank you for taking the time to reply this number, F2VY-7G276-A.

This apparently is the part number for the wiring harness inside the transmission case.

I am needing the part number, instead, for the harness that would connect onto the part number you provided, outside the trans, and along with the VSS, the OSS, the MLPS, going from the cited F2VY-7G276-A connector, up, over to the left side of the trans, toward the upper midsection of the trans, and then back down to the mid-right, lower, where this would then connect to the harness which passes though the hump, to the lower center of the console, then right, under dash, to the near-ECU black connector, and then to the ECU.

In other words, the harness I need is 1) external to the transmission, and 2) the 2nd to last in line of any harness for the transmission (the last being inside the trans).

Thanks again!

k

1 - 3 of 3 Posts