TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
97's are the best of the thunderbird/cougar ones because they have about a 50% chance of having the mechnaical diode. Typically they last anywhere from 60,000 to 150,000 miles depending on usage and driving style. That was considerably better than the 94/95 units which were usually replaced under warranty.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Typically proper servicing does nto fix problems it prevents them. When it fixes a problem the fix is usually short lived.
Alan

·
Registered
127 Posts
so the guy from the shop said that he found a rubber o ring laying at the bottom of the pan? he said ford used those in the dipstick area. this true?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, its a white plug, with an o-ring around the edge, they plug the dipstick hole with them while they are putting the car together, when they pop the dipstick in, it pushed the plug down into the pan where it stays till the pans removed.

dosent mean you didnt have a fluid change, but its most likely you didnt. most shops you take your car to for a fluid change disconnect the cooler lines and run new fluid in and out through those till it comes out clean on the return. so they never take the pan off, or remove the filter, its actually not required in some transmissions that have a metal mesh filter. ours are cloth, so its a good idea to change them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After reading this series of posts I still sometimes wonder at all if I have the longest lasting 4R70W out there.

My car in question, '96 Cougar with the 4.6, just turned 175,000 miles and the original transmission is still running and hitting all shifts. I still think the best decision I made with this car was installing a tranny cooler nearly 10 years ago and doing the Jmod.

I'm thankful this tranny is still going. I can't count the number of stories I've read about how soon these transmissions fail.

·
Registered
235 Posts
After reading this series of posts I still sometimes wonder at all if I have the longest lasting 4R70W out there.

My car in question, '96 Cougar with the 4.6, just turned 175,000 miles and the original transmission is still running and hitting all shifts. I still think the best decision I made with this car was installing a tranny cooler nearly 10 years ago and doing the Jmod.

I'm thankful this tranny is still going. I can't count the number of stories I've read about how soon these transmissions fail.
I have a bone stock original 95 with no tranny cooler on it that is over 200k and shifts perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts