TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new the this site, I have a 1997 4.6L Cougar with transmission problems, it is stock with a cooler. It won't shift out of first at wide open throttle and it feels like it is slipping in overdrive when going uphill at around 40mph and give it a little throttle to get it to down shift into third, it will buck or jerk a few times before downshifting. It shifts fine during normal driving at light to medium throttle except for the buck/jerk sometimes on the 4-3 downshift. The PCM has no codes and I've checked all the engine sensors. Also did a transmission fluid and filter change hoping it might fix the issue, and checked the 1-2 accumulator piston and springs, all looked normal. Need some advice on what to check next. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Is there any chance the bucking could be the torque converter? The 96 and 97 cars were really bad about that.

The WOT shift problem is a little strange since you have addressed the most likely issues already. Saying that it shifts normally otherwise leads me toward a control issue. I wish there were data to look at on what the computer is commanding. I am leaning toward the valve body. But, not sure.

D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Maybe not transmission related at all, could be your ignition coils that are going bad. A lot of times an ignition issue and bucking will feel like transmission but it's actually ignition related, especially since you're mentioning it shifts fine at medium throttle. I had some bucking at low RPM too and thought it was the trans slipping, turns out it was an ignition coil in the end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and info guys. After replacing the MAF, TPS, neutral safety switch and installing a Sonnax Sure Cure kit in the transmission valve body the problem is still occurring. I did install Accel ignition coils, E3 spark plugs, and new wires before this all started, so that is most likely the problem, *smacks head* lol. I ordered Motorcraft ignition coils, plugs and wires. I'll see if that fixes it. Another issue now though is an RPM surge after it goes into overdrive for a second at light throttle and then the RPMs drop down to normal again almost like the OD is disengaging momentarily. Any thoughts? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts