TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all the previous forums and threads, but can't find a current recommendation for the best compressor replacement part. Mine has a leak, but recharging it lasts about 3 months, which just doesn't cut it in this Texas heat! Amazon lists several specific applications for my car, but they all have different part #'s. Which one is correct? How do they differ? And, of course, what's everyone's recommendation (Motorcraft, new vs reman, non-OEM)? Anyone use 1-800-Radiator? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
any of them will work. warranties vary though. Advance auto, autozone, oriellys etc will offer you a 2 year warranty if you get and replace all the parts that correspond with with compressor. All parts houses can actually order through 1800 radiator and get you something but 1800 radiator uses the same value brands the big parts store use ( i think its factory air). If you can find a motorcraft oem piece that isn't ridiculously over priced go for it.

not the same car but i used a compressor and corresponding parts that go with it on my wifes 2001 toyota from 1800 radiator (factory air) and up until my man child brother in law wrecked it earlier this year while he was borrowing the car it blew cold ac for 5 years. quote from the stealership for parts was nearly 800 bucks. I got the compressor, and "orifice tube" (which on the echo is an 18 inch sock looking thing that goes in the condenser) and a few other pieces for 227 shipped to the house. another 60 to vacuum down and fill it with r134a at a local tire shop, i'd say I was quite happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I put in a Denso 471-8106 New Compressor with Clutch 6 years ago in my 95 from amazon - price is cheaper now - $127, I paid $218 in 2012. Performed flawlessly never needing to add refrigerant since.
One of the later TSBs said no need to replace the drier as my system had positive pressure. Did not mess with the orifice tube either as the compressor did not grenade.
I adjusted to oil in the new one, I believe it was 3 oz, whatever the shop manual said if you got less dumping out your old oil. Vacuumed it down and recharged. Still ice cold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stealing your thread, but I am in the process of replacing my AC compressor and one of the old tubes has a wire harness plug in it, and my replacement does not have it. Does anyone know what this wire is for, and how bad it would be to not have it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts