TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have owned this 1997 Cougar since new...no accidents, etc...

In the past year the drivers side window has shown rub marks (vertical) about the center of the glass and the window will operate fine, you can tell there is resistance. The passenger side window (which has little use) is starting to show this similar "line" but suddenly cannot go up all the way without physical help...

I'm pulling the door panels off this weekend and assuming it is likely track/guide related..... looking for recommendations, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,

Beechkid

·
Super Moderator
10,371 Posts
There's a metal brace that guides the window; the felt that was covering it has worn out.

You can buy felt at a crafts store, and glue it to the guide.

Lube all the moving parts with white lithium grease, after you wipe out the crud with paper towels.

Don't wash it down with WD40 and not relube it,as it will rust solid in no time. WD is a solvent, not really a lubricant.

If there's play in the mechanism, the stiffness of the lube may have wasted one or more of the nylon pucks in the motor assembly.

I recommend this kit from RA:

ACDELCO 11P2 {#19251545} It has the best lube in it.

I'd do both doors, as that will prevent damage from occurring; and they're both the same age.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a metal brace that guides the window; the felt that was covering it has worn out.

Lube all the moving parts with white lithium grease, after you wipe out the crud with paper towels.

Don't wash it down with WD40 and not relube it,as it will rust solid in no time. WD is a solvent, not really a lubricant.

If there's play in the mechanism, the stiffness of the lube may have wasted one or more of the nylon pucks in the motor assembly.

I recommend this kit from RA:

ACDELCO 11P2 {#19251545} It has the best lube in it.

I'd do both doors, as that will prevent damage from occurring; and they're both the same age.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Spraying silicone in the vertical track (right next to the black painted strip on the door edge) keeps these windows working efficiently. Just spray it in, and put the window up and down several times. There is a lot of resistance there if that rubber guide is dry.

Al

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Also...what adhesive would you recommend for the felt...….I was considering exterior silicone caulk....can be applied thin, water resistant and can be removed.....

Thanks,

Beechkid

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I would give an update of what I found...….the tracks/guides were very clean, motors/guides working properly....ended up (thought trial/error0 Teflon lube was the answer.....coated all guides/tracks...works very nicely now.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Like I mentioned, just spraying silicone in the vertical track with the window down, then putting it up and down several times will get most windows operating nicely. It's like that track doesn't conform exactly to the curve of the window, and there are spots where it rubs.

Operating the window on a regular basis keeps them running smoothly. I didn't open my driver's window one time for a long time, and when I did, it broke the plastic gears in the motor. That was a straightforward, but tedious fix.

That reminds me, I need to lube up the passenger window.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,371 Posts
White lithium is much better than WD40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts