TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 97 LE looks to be in nice shape, and has low, low miles! It appears to have been garaged, but is missing the factory floor mats for some reason.

Ford: Thunderbird LX

Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It's beautiful, I won't lie about that. I just don't think it's worth $6K for a bone stock, barely driven 19 year old car.

Unless the owner changes the belts, hoses, vacuum lines, and suspension parts just because he's bored, they're all going to rot out the second the car gets some serious street time.

I love these cars, but I can't justify overpaying for one.

And the factory floor mats are probably under the aftermarket ones or in the trunk to protect them. My wife's new Escape still has them in the wrapper because it came with all weather cut to fit ones.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure there is plenty of room for negotiation in that price. Especially after it sits for a while. $5k would be a good price, IMO.

I think it's better to buy a car in nice shape than one for $1500 that needs paint, interior, etc, which the paint will cost twice as much as what you bought the car for. Then you are right back close to $5k, but with non-original paint, and a car that is still a little rough around the edges, and with high miles.

Any used car you buy will need a little TLC, for sure. Suspension, we all know will need rebuilt at some point. I have never changed the vacuum lines on an MN-12 I've owned, the Ford coolant hoses are EPDM, very long lasting, and there's only one belt. But I would replace the hoses, etc, it's just normal maintenance.

Al

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
+1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're our own worst enemies when it comes to the oft repeated question of whether or not these cars will be worth something someday. If we enthusiasts for these cars can't justify paying for a truly nice one, there's no chance in hell anyone else would, EVER.

As far as replacing everything rubber - you need to on a high mile car too LOL Difference is the super low mile car won't be dropping much dirt and grime and rust and and **** in your eyes when you're breaking the bolts loose to do it :tongue:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I am sure there is plenty of room for negotiation in that price. Especially after it sits for a while. $5k would be a good price, IMO.

I think it's better to buy a car in nice shape than one for $1500 that needs paint, interior, etc, which the paint will cost twice as much as what you bought the car for. Then you are right back close to $5k, but with non-original paint, and a car that is still a little rough around the edges, and with high miles.

Any used car you buy will need a little TLC, for sure. Suspension, we all know will need rebuilt at some point. I have never changed the vacuum lines on an MN-12 I've owned, the Ford coolant hoses are EPDM, very long lasting, and there's only one belt. But I would replace the hoses, etc, it's just normal maintenance.

Al
The hoses are not a concern, nor the belt. An hour in a driveway with a bucket and you're good. It's the rubber on the suspension... Sucks to replace barely used suspension components due to lack of use.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RobertP sells heavy duty boots for the UCA's. I used a set on our CVPI. They are extremely strong, but you have to manually pack the grease in there if there isn't a grease fitting.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts