1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got my 44k mile Thunderbird in fairly pristine condition for $1600 bucks. 15k is a crazy price to ask. Low mileage old cars are going to cost you though, like mine did. Suspension bushings dry out and a bunch of vacuum hoses crack and then you have misfires and lean conditions. My A/C system is also leaking and the compressor went bad (in the process of repairing). Just saying, low mileage older cars are not necessarily in 'new' condition even though they may look super clean.

I'm happy though with mine, 1600 bucks paid itself off long time ago, it was a steal.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It does look nice in the pictures although the pictures are all a little too close up to get a good sense of how it really looks. There are no good pictures of the sides of the car and that pinstripe looks terrible.

And the price is way to steep. People assume that just because a car is old and in good condition, it automatically means it's a classic or collector car and that's just isn't the case. Actually I'm not even sure the sellers always even believe that, they just use those terms to try to reel in an uninformed buyer and I'm sure there are times that it actually works.

Here's the way I look at it... If someone buys that $13K Thunderbird and a month later they get rear ended & the car is totaled, the insurance company isn't going to care that they paid $13K for that car. The car is probably valued about $3,000 - $4,000.

Having said all that I'd probably pay $5K for it if it's truly in like new condition with no rust.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, he's dropped the price $1k per day, down to $11k. I guess he realizes he over-shot!

Here is another, a 97 Sport. The miles are not even that low for what he's asking. Love the car and color overall but hate the look of the body kit from the front, looks like it has tits.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5472156555.html

Al

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Agreed, that's the absolute worst bodykit made for these cars.

It's funny I bought my Cougar with the exact same amount of miles, same condition 11 years ago for almost exactly $11,000 less. And really the shouting of RARE is a bit much, sports really aren't that uncommon. It is rare the tits on that kit aren't gouged to hell though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, he's dropped the price $1k per day, down to $11k. I guess he realizes he over-shot!
I e-mailed him last weekend & delicately offered him $5,000 for it. I didn't want to offend him with that offer because at the time it was about 1/3 of what he was originally asking for the car. He responded & said he has already had 1 offer for $8,000 that he turned down & how he feels the car is worth what he's asking due to it's rarity & low miles. If he's really patient I suppose he might be able to get $8,000 - $10,000 for it eventually. It won't be me though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts