TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory sunroof in my 1997 Thunderbird LX. It still works great, but is beginning to show a bit of seepage/leakage around the passenger side. After a fair rain, there's a bit of dampness in the headliner (pass side only and on slide panel).

My question is: Just how watertight should these things be? Is some leakage expected and should be drained off?

I heard somewhere that the 97 sunroof is unique and that replacement seals are no longer available?

Any suggestions to stop headliner from getting damp during rain?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to do a close inspection the other day and could see no clear obvious evidence of clogged drain tubes, but they could still be clogged down the line a little bit. I have never heard any whistling or rushing air while going down the road. I did note that the glass rubber seal and the mating surface in the roof were both very dirty, so I cleaned then up (noticing that rubber seal still felt very soft and pliable). Now waiting for a hard rain to see if it's improved any. I ran a water hose over it, the headliner did not get wet, but I did see some dampness in the channel around the right side. Maybe there is a micro-leak in that "gutter" under the roof? I'll look more closely to see what I can see - although, I do not have the car right now; it is on loan to my grandson...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts