TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever changed out a power steering pump on a GM 3.8L based car?

It looks like a pain to get to....Mine got a slice rubbed through it from the belt...so the resevoir is leaking, and I need to change it.
It is located under the alternator on the passenger side down low.

Just looking for some tips on those who have done this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Its not hard .. take off the belt, remove the 2 bolts holding the pump to the engine - one is accessed through the hole in the pulley. Then disconnect the return and high pressure line.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not hard .. take off the belt, remove the 2 bolts holding the pump to the engine - one is accessed through the hole in the pulley. Then disconnect the return and high pressure line.
just by looking at it last night in the dark, it just seems tight to get out.....I was more pissed than anything, so i was more than likley not thinking straight.

but thanks for the response.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
just by looking at it last night in the dark, it just seems tight to get out.....I was more pissed than anything, so i was more than likley not thinking straight.

but thanks for the response.
It is a tight fit .. putting it back in is the fun part. ;)

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was a lot easier than i expected. I am actually going to expoxy/fiberglass the hole. I found some good stuff at work that I'm using. It should hold, if not no biggie. I can pull these off pretty quick now. I actually took the alternator off and drained some coolant, cause I was expecting to have to go a different way and remove some heater hoses. But it fit right in between the accesories and frame rail.

SCTbird1994, thanks for the tip on the bolt through the pulley, they were both through the pulley actually :)

anyway, i'm letting the crap cure overnight, and will test the "fix" tommorow.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
No problem .. I have a customer with a 1995 Buick Lesabre and there is always something wrong with it. Most recently, changing an Oil pan that got crushed by a jack and now has a knock when you start it up. I went to the junkyard and every pan was also crushed, but I managed to find a decent one ..

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all seems okay so far......that was a PINTA to get the pump back on......but after about 20 minutes of fighting it, it went back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts